2 | Are We There Yet?

"So. Much. Pain." Bellamy groaned over dramatically as he orientated himself as the initial departure from the Ark seemed to steady itself.

"Get over yourself." A voice told him before Winnie could respond. She didn't recognise it and she put that down to the ringing that wouldn't stop in her ears.

"Whoever said that, I like you." Winnie remarked from the other end of the ship as she gathered her senses.

She tried to use the floor to pull herself up when she realised she wasn't touching it. She was floating just above. She kicked her legs and hit nothing, it was astonishing - weightlessness, she couldn't only equate it to a dream she had once, before they all turned into nightmares. Winnie knew now why the Spacewalker did his crimes, she pushed against the wall with her hands and floated towards the delinquents on the other side.

"That makes one of us." The voice said again as Winnie neared him and the girl knew instantly this is the reason she is never normally nice.

"Atom Jenkins. How's life? How many days you do in the end, you what sixteen now?" She grimaced as she clutched ahold of his safety straps so she could stand up. She inadvertently felt more muscles then he had before on his chest. His breath became heavier as she moved closer and he grinned his teeth. He always had a problem with his temper.

"It's the same old, you know. Glad I got to avoid your face for a while." He could only reply when it was directed to the delinquent sat next to him, Winnie recognised him as well, Sterling. He looked too baby faced to be apart of Atoms crowd, he didn't belong her. Winnie pulled herself over to the side, her grip around around a nearby pole.

"I know," Winnie threw away the comment but then let tone become serious, "I know Atom. Don't forget that,"

She was referring to his crime and Winnie wasn't easily disgusted and really wasn't able to be a judge of any of the hundred's sins but Atoms made her stomach turn.

"My advice Sterling is to make some new friends

"My advice Sterling is to make some new friends." Winnie advised, looking down and picking out some dirt from her nails.

"And my advice is don't pick her." Bellamy Blake's contribution garnered a few laughs along with his own as he floated freely in the middle of their area.

Winnie watched who laughed and the delinquents turned into faces she could rely on, people she knew. In fact, she couldn't really think of any person her own age who wouldn't be on this ship. There were a few she didn't recognise but none of real importance. Except one. One delinquent made her look twice.

John Murphy didn't laugh or smile. Instead he watched the mystery girl in silence because Murphy felt like he knew her, like he had looked into her eyes before and been met with a wall. He thought how beautiful she was. Like a perfect long lost stranger he was miraculously seeing for a second time. He wanted to look longer, he wanted to keep her eye contact because he wouldn't be the one to first look away. It had to be her.