Chapter 7- Brooks

As the morning went on, I felt the sun begin to beat down on me. I wiped the sweat from my brow and reached for my water. After taking a drink, I poured the rest on my head, feeling the water trickle down my jawline and neck; I sighed with relief and checked the time.

It's 11:30 a.m. There's still enough time to get to Mal's and help her with her lights. I hopped on my four-wheeler and began driving back to the house. As I pulled in, I saw my mother's camera taking pictures of our farm. I smiled and headed up the steps to our home. As I enjoyed a moment of peace, the house phone began to ring. I answered it as I grabbed another bottle of water.

"Hello, this is Brooks," I spoke, leaning against the counter. "Oh! Hi Brooks, it's Marcie!" I almost choked on my water as I heard her name. "Mrs. Cromwell! It's been a while; how can I help you?" I asked, my heart beginning to race. "Oh! I was looking for your mother; I wanted to chat with her about some things." Her voice sounded weary as if she was hiding something. "Of course, I will go grab her." I walked outside, where my mother greeted me. I looked confused as I handed the phone to her because I wasn't aware my mom and Emerbly's mother were still speaking. My mother smiled as she took the phone and passed by me with a smile as she began to talk with Marcie. My mind was drowning in the thoughts. Why was she calling? Did something happen to Emberly? Or was this just some random coincidence?

I snapped from my thoughts as I heard a fragment of my mother's conversation.

"Oh, my goodness, are you serious? The situation is horrible, but I'm happy to hear the news!" She spoke with joy. What news? "Please let me know if you guys need anything!" As she finished chatting and hung up, she came out of the kitchen smiling. I raised my brow, "What was that all about?" I questioned as I grabbed my tool bag by the front door. She nervously chuckled and shook her head, "Oh nothing, just mom talk," she lied. I could always tell, but it didn't matter. "Well, I'm off to Mal's.." I said, still feeling suspicious of her odd behavior. "Oh! Um, dear? After you finish everything at Mal's, will you be back to chat about a few things?" My mother asked with slight hesitation. I sighed and turned back to her. "I won't be home until later; I'm going to practice after I finish helping Mal," I said; she sighed with a nod, returning to the kitchen. I turned out the door and jumped into my truck. As I began to drive, I turned on the radio, and my heart sank.

It was this damn song. Why did this song have to be playing? The last thing I wanted was to be thinking about Emberly in any way at all. I couldn't stand to think of the aching memories.

I felt my heart sink as the song played. I hadn't heard this song in so long, and it just brought me heartache. I gripped the steering wheel hard as I listened to each word. I still remember the night I drove to Emberly's house; I was so scared to confess so many things I had on my mind. I was going to tell her how I felt. But of course, when I arrived, I found she had left town with some posh idiot from college. On the drive home, this song played throughout my truck as I felt my heart shatter. I couldn't help but cry as I heard this song on the drive home. I wasn't ready to let her go. She didn't even say goodbye. I never told her how I felt. And now, I never will.

As I listened to the song, I remembered everything about her. She always smiled or laughed as she sat in the passenger seat with the wind flowing through her hair, always holding me in her embrace when she saw me or staring at me with those beautiful eyes. As I glanced over at my passenger seat, I still saw her poorly written handwriting on my dashboard, 'Em's Spot.' I sighed. She didn't need me anymore. I always wonder what would have happened if I could've just told her how I felt. How could she just leave like that? I wish she had just given me one more night to let me hold her like she was mine and have her possibly love me. As I was in my thoughts, I felt my eyes begin to sting. I swallowed and fought back the tears as best I could. I feel so much anger, love, and heartache just thinking about her. But she's never coming back.

Since then, I have used everything I felt toward work and bull riding. It was the only thing that kept me afloat. I had to take advantage of a fully broken heart. I felt the tears roll down my cheek; I used one hand to wipe them from my face as I took a deep breath. Come on, Brooks. It's been years. She shouldn't matter to you anymore. It just still hurts me deeply. As I continued driving, I could see Mal's house in the distance. I needed to clean up my act before I got there; I shouldn't be crying over some stupid girl.

As I pulled into Mal's house, I took another deep breath and hopped out of my truck. I grabbed my tool bag and shook any thoughts of Emberly out of my head. I shut my truck door and began to walk towards Mal's porch. Once I reached the steps, I was greeted by the door opening, seeing Mal with a smile. "Oh, thank goodness! My favorite handyman is here." Mal spoke with excitement as she held the door open for me. I smiled and tipped my hat at her. "Always a pleasure to see you, Mal. Let's take a look at those lights, shall we?" I said with a smile and headed inside. Mal followed behind and walked ahead of me, guiding me into her kitchen area. "These darn lights aren't working anymore." She said, flicking the light switch on and off multiple times. I chuckled and placed my bag down. "Well, no worries, Mal. I will make sure they are working again." I spoke, smiling. Mal's face lit up with joy, and she said, "Thank you, Brooks. How much will I owe you today? I shook my head, smiling, "Nothing, there's no need to pay me, Mal." I said as I crouched down to grab my tools to get started. She huffed and crossed her arms. "Young man, every time you come over to help me, you never let me pay you!" she said sternly. I laughed and looked up at her. "If you won't let me pay you, at least come by the diner to get something to eat on me." She said, patting me on the shoulder as she began to make her way out of the kitchen. I smiled and stood up, and spoke, "Alright, Mal. You have a deal. " She smiled and headed out of the kitchen. I chuckled softly as I began working on finding the problem with her lights.

Well, I guess I'm going to Mal's diner later this evening.