Chapter 14 - A Dance of Love and Roses

With all that we'd lost and finally earned, it was time to take our leave. Time to journey back along the beaten roads and shambles of what had remained of his reign. This time, we won't be borne aloft in the skies, gliding from the steady currents of the sky but rather the dusty streets that stretched far into the wilderness. The journey had begun to reach its end and so would the dreaded curtain call.

Riley, Leila, and I sat restlessly chatting awhile we allowed the hours to pass by. Though chatting might not be the best description, we had in fact played games of chess and teased. We had cuddled in a heap and nearly threw me out of the carriage. I'm sure both of them had enjoyed that part the most because they had relentlessly bugged me about it for the remainder of the trip.

Though it was clear how Alina's so-called victory had taken the hearts of those in the village. Stalls sold fake bone procured to provide the faithful and painters with their sprawling murals. Bards with their songs that would convey the story through time. Yet not one depiction of the other members who had been on the fields as well.

There were few and far between any graves or memorials that weren't just dedicated to the "fallen" saint and many of those that did, had the Sankta at the heart of it all. The people had created this perfect image of a girl who had stood bravely against the fold. A kindhearted leader who always would offer safe passage out of the darkness. Rather than a frantic girl who could barely lead without dragging in her personal life. Whose grudges got the better of her, no one could blame the girl. She had a tough part to play and was glad to leave. It only hurt that she stood in the spotlight while those who also deserved it just as equally could be cast off as lesser.

For now, I would leave the issue with those who wanted to fight a bit for a proper tale. One about the actual heroine, the soldiers and all the in between. Yet it seemed that it would never come to fruition because while it was a tale, it was up to those who sang them. For each tale, there was always going to be a falseness to it. It was their choice and theirs alone for how this was to be perceived and seen.

Yet our life is ours and ours alone to guide, why dwell on the misgivings of the people now? I would have no more sway than those who would be fighting. This life I had led was filled with tragedies and wonders. It bothered me the most of all that, but the play must go on after all. And there are far more worst things to live through than my pitiful play.

We had only just jumped out of the carriage when Riley tugged us back a little bit. Which resulted in me tumbling backwards like someone had just smacked me in the face, hard. Leila must have been a fox at this point as she began to snicker once more. So, I rose from the ground as if I were dead, turned to Leila and proceeded to do the thing mentioned earlier. Which was smacking the witch in the face. Might I mention, HARD with the strength of an angered Volcra. For some reason, it only provoked her to continue, only short of breath and on the ground.

"This is not going to plan," Riley muttered, "Why do you two feel the need to muck around? This is going to make this much more awkward." Riley pinched the bridge of her nose, okay, I must admit. Me and Leila acted like we're crazy and eaten some random mushroom lying around. Riley just sighed and looked over to the other grisha which to her relief had dispersed minutes ago.

"I think you saying that just makes it even worse," Leila confessed, "Also because that was the most hilarious thing I had ever seen! If you ask her, I'm sure she'll agree." To my shame and never-ending embarrassment, I nodded. Confirming that it was indeed one of the weirdest things I had pulled off.

"Anyways, I know you two are dating but would you like to join me for tea?" Riley mouthed. Leila looked at me and I almost laughed my head off. That was one of the most formal ways I've ever heard someone ask someone out on a date. I decided at that very moment to join Leila on the dirty ground.