Chapter 13 - The Making of Legends

Silk strewn over the seats as the wind spun the tail of cloth. Hushed promises and whispers passed through the air as the black became dawn. The echoes finally dwindling for its lovely sound could no longer stand bouncing. So, it had taken its leave with the other, the whirls of cloth chasing after its master. The pair, however, conversed for several minutes before being sent to the realm of sleep.

The excitement and laughter never stay forever as the time moves continuously like a stream. Memories drifted in to fill the gaps, coming in light bouts or howling raging storms. However, that memory shall be forever remembered, captured in amber. Still untouchable while the appearance of what it was still trapped there. Though whatever mysteries and hidden secrets shall collect their dust.

I rose from the cotton pillows which hoisted me above the other larger version of that which rested beneath me. The light now was still dull, never great for acting but alas the show must go on. The colors that once might have been bright now lightly painted over in a light grey. Tinting the world with a faint fog as well as the clouds embody everything.

Leila's smile brightened that world, made it easier to glimpse at what was beyond the clouds. The morning behind her much clearer than it had been before. Like someone had dropped water on the setting except the ink had not bled. Only acting as a lens. It was nice to have a proper look at the world that had blossomed in our wake.

Apparently from the snippet of news Riley had brought, Rakva now mourned the loss of the sun summoner. Yet they breathed a sigh of relief that with her "fading" life, she had taken the fold with her. It was now to be a memory, a tale to tell children to scare them.

Some parts of the tales were to be glossed over but Zoya and some other members of magicae societas never allowed our work to be forgotten. As well as all those who had fallen so they had spread the word that Alina was not alone in the fight. Nor had she been the one to bring him to his knees.

Honestly it was wonderful to hear them growing and learning to shape this world, but it only served as a reminder that this world may no longer need this play. The props and cast would be disbanded and what would we do? We had left our own mark in this world, but the play was our life. What darkness awaited us after all the years of painstakingly creating this life for us?

"Hey! We aren't going mind wandering today! We've got stuff to do!" Leila chuckled, yanking me up from the bed as harshly as I had hours ago. I glared at her, pouting and a bit annoyed that she had interrupted me but glad she had.

"Fine, only because I don't want to stay in the little palace for the rest of my days," I grumbled as we ventured down the glistening and pristine walls, it was always too bright for me, and it just so happened to house my enemy. That man despite now having been banished to the next, surely left his mark, the shadows seemed to be screaming for their master as they took the forms of the darkest monsters.

Leila had unknowingly begun to lean on me slowly as we traversed the halls in the later hours of the morning. Before long, her head had fallen onto my shoulder as we walked down the halls. At that point, I was practically carrying her while she sleepily muttered about something I could pay no mind to.

Though what she did next definitely caught me off guard. She leapt out of my arms, wrapped her arms around me, then kissed me. I stumbled back and naturally reacted to hold her as I leaned in deeper. Leila's hands held me tighter as we enjoyed the blissful moment. Leila pulled back to suck in a breath, her forehead leaning against mine. She giggled loudly, her eyes remained closed, and Leila leaned in further.

"Athy, don't take my breath away!" She laughed; it was honestly wonderful to see her so happy. Though it had startled me enough to pull away a bit. What had caught me off guard was the nickname. One that hadn't graced my ears in years, one forgotten and lost as the person who once uttered a similar thing. I returned her smile; it was nice to see someone whom I could trust.