Sequel Preview: "BEYOND THE STARS"

"Hi," said Varian.

Eona waved at him, hoping the gesture — and the rest of her — appeared friendly and harmless. "Hi."

Varian looked back at Anduin. He was still at the door; he hadn't moved an inch. One would've mistaken him for a statue if it weren't for the blood that had rushed back to his face. Two Stormwind guards stationed outside peeked in, too, gaping beneath their helmets.

Varian pointed at Eona. "Who's this?"

"Leaving?" Eona offered. She stepped back. Varian's head snapped towards the movement, like a wolf regarding a rabbit. She stopped.

"Good answer," said Varian. "You must be the one who's been giving our night watch such a workout."

"Yep. That's me," she said. Eona didn't want to lie to him. It felt better to be truthful; Varian could've easily thrown her across the room with two fingers, and Eona didn't forget his strength, even when he stood so casually before her.

She tried smiling. Weirdly enough, Varian smiled back at her.

"So, what do you have against doors?" Varian absently scratched at the large, messy bun on his head.

"They're, uh...a little crowded," said Eona. She glanced back at Anduin. A servant had joined the two guards ogling the scene from the door. All three stared with the rapt attention of opera attendees.

Varian followed her gaze. The small party scattered with awkward coughs.

"You're right. They are crowded," said Varian.

Anduin closed the door. Tension thickened the air when he did so. Eona felt more on edge without an audience, somehow.

Anduin cleared his throat, "Father, I —"

Varian cut him off. "She seems fun."

Eona smiled a little wider. She had been aiming for please don't kill me, but fun was a pleasant surprise.

Varian closed the distance between him and Eona in two strides. His height threw a shadow over her, blocking the golden tendrils of the lit hearth. An oaken spice with a hint of bourbon filled her lungs from his closeness.

"Let's have a meal together sometime. Bring your father, too," Varian said.

Eona blinked in surprise. "All right."

Varian nodded as if he were satisfied with the answer. He offered a massive, burly hand to Eona. She shook it. His grip was strong, but he didn't crush her fingers. Eona didn't use all of her strength, but enough so he could feel her presence.

Varian's brow rose before they broke apart, but he made no comment.

The King of the Alliance turned away, and retreated to the door. As he did so, he clapped Anduin on the shoulder, "Raising you is a joy."

"I'm so glad it pleases you," said Anduin starkly.

Varian paused at the doorway. His hand engulfed the entire golden knob, like it was a child's toy in his hands. He tossed one last look at Eona, "You should use these from now on. They're not that scary."

"Thank you. I will keep that in mind," she said.

Varian turned the knob.

A flicker of recognition flashed across Anduin's face. "Wait, you wished to speak with me —"

Varian shrugged. "There's always tomorrow, son. Nice meeting you."

Eona waved. To her delight, the towering king in a messy bun waved back.

Varian left the room behind, casting a stern look at the guards as he passed. Anduin shut the door behind him, slouching against it. His hands pulled down his face as he processed the encounter.

Eona dashed over to him. When he slouched, they were eye level. She could easily see the daze he was trapped in; he stared blankly in front of him, but didn't see her in front of him at all.

"I think that could have gone a lot worse," she said, fishing for some comment. A sign he was still alive in there. But Anduin didn't speak.

"Andy?" she tapped his shoulder. No response. "Will I have to resuscitate you —? I know that's your thing, but I think I'd be great at mouth-to-mouth."

When she bit her lip, Anduin stirred, his eyes following her lips. He looked her human form up and down. It wasn't the first time Anduin had seen it — Eona used it for their adventures outside the walls. He wore rags, she wore someone else's skin, and they became no one together.

Anduin finally spoke, "So...I suppose you should use the door from now on. Instead of the window."

Eona patted his shoulder. "Yes. That is exactly what you should take from this conversation."