Chapter 3

The real high only lasted for an hour or so, but I felt it in me even after when Landon dropped my car and me at my house. He was completely sober and it made me think of how much he actually smoked. He caught a ride with Cooper, who had followed. I really didn’t feel up to driving, but Landon who was more accustomed to smoking wasn’t as effected.

I used my key to get into my one story white with blue shutters house. I lived there with my mother, father, and older sister, Hazel, who was 25 and fresh out of college.

“Hey,” Hazel said. She sat on the couch watching MTV on our 40” TV.

“Hmmm.” I didn’t quite have the want to answer her. She sat straighter, noticing me. Shit.

“What’s wrong?”

“Oh, nothing,” I said trying to perk up just a little so she wouldn’t be so suspicious.

“Yeah…something’s wrong. You seem distant.” I smiled, amused. I don’t know why though.

“It’s whatever.”

“Have you been smoking? You seem like you’re on dope or something,” she lightly chuckled, concerned though.

“Trust me, I’m not on dope,” I smiled, pleased at my cunningness. But it didn’t quite fool her. I felt like freaking genius right now, but she looked at me like I was stupid as shit.

“Okay…” she suspiciously said returning to her show.

I walked upstairs, light as a feather. I really did feel great about myself. We should do this more often.

Tired, I fell into my bed, smiling. It felt good to sleep.