Part 20

Chapter 20

Meereen was in turmoil. The crown Jewel of Slavers Bay was filled with tension as the ruling families of Meereen suffered their greatest loss in years. The Wise Masters had ruled over Meereen for centuries now, cementing their rule through their wealth, cruelty and influence, yet now someone had arisen against their rule, someone bold enough to ignore their wealth and influence and given what they had dolled onto them, they were not scared of them as well.

It had all begun with the attack on the manse of Furhaw Zhaq, the young master of the Zhaq had been celebrating with like-minded individuals from the elites of Meereen until the whole manse had been burnt down, with everyone inside it being burnt to a crisp.

Their bodies had been burnt to a husk, rendering the question of whether it was an accident or a deliberate attack much more difficult to answer. Yet the answer would come, for weeks later. Another family would be attacked in the same way, the manse burnt to a husk with everyone dead.

And now there had been a third attack, done in a similar fashion, showing that this was not a coincidence. No, this was a deliberate attack.

"Galare, has there been any lead into who is responsible for this?" he asked, and Galare nodded.

"The bodies were all burnt to a husk. It took us days to simply sort through the death. But yesterday, we found something in one of the attacks," he began as he had a servant bring forward an object wrapped in cloth.

"They found this on one of the bodies," he remarked as he removed the cloth, and he frowned as he looked at the charred husk. It was a mask, a broken mask, yet for some reason, it seemed familiar in its design and shape.

"The Liberator.." he gasped out once he recognized it, and his anger burst forth.

"But he was claimed to be dead..." he asked, and Enias Galare shrugged.

"We do not know whether this was his doing or someone is following in his footsteps, but yes I believe this all is linked to him," Enias words made him furious as he crushed the mask in his hands.

"FIND HIM ENIAS! HAVE THE GUARDS DO A CITY-WIDE SEARCH! KILL ALL THOSE WHO REFUSE! I WANT WHOEVER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ROOTED OUT!"

"It's already being done, we have begun the search from the manses he owned, and all those who survived the burning. But there was one more thing," Enias hesitated.

"What?" he asked, angry for his own blood had been spilled. His niece and nephew were dead by the hands of these heathens, dead because he had spared one of these louts. He would not make the same mistake again.

"The bodies, we counted them. And ever with the slaves the number of people inside the manse was greater," and he frowned.

"What do you mean by that?" he questioned not getting the point, and Galare hesitated before he answered.

"It is only speculation, but we believe that whoever these people are. They are sacrificing their own to make sure that everyone in the manse burns to death." And it took him a second to make sense of what he had heard.

And then he heard it happen, suddenly as he heard shouts and screams of men, making him look at the guards.

"What is going on?" he asked, as dread filled him. Suddenly, the doors to the room were blown off their hinges, and guards surrounded him to protect him. He felt a shiver run down his spine as two amethyst orbs glinted in the darkness. A far too familiar figure stepped out of the shadows.