Part 22

Chapter 22

The Red Temple of Volantis was a marvel unlike any in the world. With Black walls gleaming in the ever-lit central flame and towers and buttresses merging into one another, it was a majestic sight to behold.

Yet this very tower was filled with only screams of agony, as its darkened floors and walls were dyed red, the red priests present in the temple slaughtered as some begged for mercy from their God, and some from those wielding the blades against them.

"Why? Why do you attack us?" Benerro, the high priest, questioned, his red robe heavy with blood littering across the raised platform where the bodies of other devout priests lay lifeless.

"Your temple has something of mine. Something taken from my family centuries ago," the masked man answered as his sword screeched along the floor.

"The Egg," the priest realized.

"Where is it?" the masked man, the one they had put to trial all those years ago, questioned.

"I do..."

"DO NOT LIE TO ME!" and the power radiating off of him, made Benerro shudder as the flames behind him rustled at that tone.

"WHERE IS THE DRAGON EGGG!"

"The Dragons are creatures of Fire, the egg belongs to us..." the Priest protested, as he felt the flames roar behind him.

The masked man, the one they had thought to be their savior, once, walked up to him, gripped him by his robes, and pulled him up as Benerro struggled in his grip.

"I will tear down every brick of this temple if I have to, but I will find that egg," he threatened, and Benerro realized that he did not have the strength to push him away; his magics had already proven useless against him.

"R'hllor is our God. This is his temple, and you would dare anger the Fire God, the one who blesses us all with life. You desecrate his temple like this. DO YOU HAVE NO FEAR!" Benerro shouted.

"REPENT YOU HEATHEN AND MAYBE THE RED GOD SHALL SHOW YOU MERCY!"

"I am in need of his mercy," and with that, Daemon pushed the man with all his might, throwing him into the raging pyre.

"Let's see how you like a Trial of Fire for yourself," and as the priest's screams filled the Temple, he turned away, ready to tear down this place brick by brick in search of a dragon egg.

And just as he had reached the stairs and begun his descent he felt the flames shift behind him as a crackling laugh began to erupt.

"HAHAHAHA." Daemon turned and found the flames raging. Yet inside the flames, he saw the silhouette of a man standing, his eyes filled with nothing but fire.

"Such rage," the voice continued, and he recognized it from all those years ago.

"Such bloodlust, yet I know why you spill so much blood. I know of how you worry over the life of one cursed through actions of your own," he began, making him grip his sword more tightly.

"Yet alas, you are too late!"

0000

JAMIE LANNISTER

The Red Keep had changed a lot since King Aerys's death. Gone was the shadow of darkness, anger, and deceit that hung over the castle. Though Prince Daemon's reign was just beginning, it was already clear to all that the Prince was not his father or his brother.