Chapter 24

A Plan in Motion

The morning sun rose gently over the horizon, casting a soft glow on the beach. Kim, Venice, and Leiah had just finished breakfast, and the children were brimming with excitement. They had a plan, a secret mission to bring some joy back into their father's life.

As they headed to the beach, the kids exchanged conspiratorial glances, each one silently committing to the plan they had devised. They played near the water's edge, but their eyes frequently darted toward the small ice cream shop. Kim, meanwhile, was seated under a beach umbrella, scrolling through his phone.

"Do you think he'll be there today?" Leiah whispered to Venice, her voice full of hope.

"I hope so," Venice replied. "We have to try."

Every few minutes, the kids would glance back at the shop, their anticipation growing with each passing moment. Finally, they saw him—a man wearing a mask, preparing to open the shop for the day. Their hearts raced as they watched him unlock the door and step inside.

Venice nudged Leiah, and they both turned toward their father. "Papa, can we have some ice cream?" Venice asked, trying to sound casual.

Kim looked up from his phone, slightly puzzled by their request. "Ice cream? It's still pretty early, don't you think?"

"Please, Papa," Leiah added, her eyes wide and pleading. "We really want some."

Kim chuckled, unable to resist their earnest faces. "Alright, alright. I'll go get some ice cream for you."

The children exchanged excited glances as Kim got up and headed toward the shop. They watched him go, their hearts pounding with anticipation.

Kim pushed open the door, the bell above it ringing softly to announce his presence. The shop was quiet, and he walked up to the counter, waiting for someone to appear.

From the back room, the man in the mask called out, "Sorry, the ice cream isn't ready yet. Give me a moment."

Kim stood patiently, his mind wandering as he looked around the shop. Suddenly, he heard a soft rustling and turned to see the man removing his mask, wiping sweat from his brow. The man turned around, and their eyes met.

Kim's breath caught in his throat. He felt like the ground had been pulled out from under him. The man standing before him was unmistakably Vegas.

For a moment, time seemed to stand still. Kim's mind raced, memories flooding back, and his heart ached with a mixture of shock, confusion, and a flicker of hope.

Vegas looked at him, his eyes wide with recognition. He opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out.

Kim's voice was barely a whisper, trembling with emotion. "Vegas?"

For a moment, time seemed to stand still. Kim's mind raced, memories flooding back, and his heart ached with a mixture of shock, confusion, and a flicker of hope. the man smiled politely, clearly not recognizing Kim. "I'm sorry for the wait. The ice cream will be ready soon. Can I help you with anything else?"

Just then, Venice and Leiah, who had been watching through the shop window, burst into the shop, their excitement uncontainable. They ran toward the man , their faces lit up with joy."Daddy!" they shouted in unison, wrapping their small arms around his waist.

He looked down at them, then back at Kim, confused. "Daddy?" he echoed, trying to understand.Kim, stunned and trying to process what was happening, looked at the kids. "Daddy?" he repeated, his voice shaky.Venice and Leiah turned to Kim, their faces filled with triumph. "Papa, we told you! Daddy is here!" they exclaimed, hugging him tightly.

Kim was unspoken, his eyes locked on the man who still looked confused but smiled at the children. "I'm sorry," the man said gently. "I'm not sure what's going on."