5. The one-night slaughter.

Burhaan was astonished, as he thought of what the sound was. His heart beat rapidly as he rushed outside. The family that was sitting together in the center field stood up while those in their rooms came out.

It sounded like a stampede as soldiers in red and black armor matched into the house. Their conical helmets were covered with red veils, revealing their ruthless eyes and their lances gleaned with sharpness. The El-Hayats had fierce looks but it was laced with worry too because the soldiers were numerous.

Burhaan clenched his fist as he watched the soldier surround the family. More appeared on horses, some on the fences with red bows pulled already. Watching this legion, everyone knew who they belonged to and their powers in the kingdom.

Abyada had three powerful legions. The head, the arms, and the legs of the Malik. One of the arms of Abyada was the bloody lance legion, Faylaqul dam'u. This is a feared troop whose soldiers were trained in blood and raised ruthlessly. Conquering many battles, they were led by a fearsome general. The troops had subdivisions and only in serious warfare is the lineup arranged. This gave Burhaan a distress signal. Something went wrong. Everything is wrong.

The soldiers created a pathway as an adorned horse stepped forward. The bloody red accessories gleaned under the moonlight as stifling pressure and silence filled the place. Atop the black horse was a well-built man in armor. He had his helmet in his left arm and his other hand held the horse. His black hair draped on his shoulder with white streaks on them. His fierce face was covered with a beard and his eyes were scary indeed, the left eye being blinded.

Seeing this man, many people around felt their hearts skip a beat. To think that the general of Faylaqul Dam'u was here. Whenever he was sent by the king, a bloody scene always followed with no compromise.

Burhaan matched his gaze with the general.

General Hilmi Azzam!

His name alone was enough to make many shudder in fear much less meeting him. Burhaan knew there was nowhere they could contend against this legion even at their peak, especially after letting their guard down.

He stepped forward and spoke, "The king

promised to let my family go and on the night that we plan to peacefully leave Abyada, we are suddenly surrounded by troops. What is the meaning of this?"

Hilmi had no change in expression and returned placidly, "The El-Hayats wanted to trick the Malik by gathering forces of their old ancestors and using the family heirloom to overthrow the king. They chose the sides of the enemy and planned to work with them. Your crimes are unforgivable. Tonight, no one is leaving alive."

Burhaan frowned at hearing this. How did the ling know of their family heirloom? He never planned or had the ambition to use them. Someone betrayed them! If they knew this, they might know it was with his daughter.

"The king must be mistaken. My family is leaving tonight and we have no plans of returning. "

"So you admit that you have the means to threaten Malik?" Hilmi inquired. "Won't we be stupid to let you go and join forces with our enemies. ? According to the law, no Muslim is to be left alive."

"You are staining your hands with innocent lives!" Burhaan's body trembled. He was old and less worried about death but children were behind him and many were crying with fear already.

Hilmi hummed dangerously at the statement and came down from his horse. "If I don't have blood on my hands, I wouldn't be Hilmi Azzam." He said and stood face to face with Burhaan. The old man felt helpless as there was nothing he could do.

He pursed his lips and suddenly knelt.

"I instigated everything. Kill me and let my family go."

His children felt angry but what could they do? Hilmi didn't look down and raised the old man's chin. "No roots should be left alive. Every sinner gets his retribution." He held the sword handle on his waist and pulled out a short curved sword.

"You shouldn't have offended the malik." He said and plunged the sword into the old man's chest.

"Baba!" The family behind shouted. Burhaan looked at his chest as blood trickled down his lips. His family was already shedding tears of pain.

He raised his head and stared at Hilmi.

"You make the slaughter of Muslims your joy. Your hands are stained with blood. Uh.." he coughed again as the second stab came.

Burhaan held the pain and he spoke again, "Allah won't leave you just like that. You will die in the hands you never expect, just like how you lost your eye! Ah!" The stab got more ruthless as Hilmi twisted the sword into the old man's chest.

"Baba!" The family cried even more.

"My children, Allah is watching from above. Our blood wont be in vain. He will avenge us." Burhaan said weekly. Hilmi smirked and kicked the man down.

"Leave no one alive." His voice was like a death order and the soldiers shouted "Yes!"

Arrows rained down, swords flashed, lances were plunged, and blood rained in the house that night. The moon seemed bloody. A whole aristocratic family was eliminated in less than an hour.

La ilana illallah, Muhammadur Rasulullah.

......

A crowd was formed before the Abyada gate. Many cursed and shook their heads while some sighed silently. It was a shocking sight but everyone was quietly mumbling.

The El-Hayats threatened the throne of Malik Misfar and Faylaqul dam'u was deployed to destroy the family. The whole family was slaughtered and the house was burnt down. All this happened at night and this morning, the main heads of the El-Hayat family were displayed. They were beheaded and the heads were hanged at the gate. This was a showcase of the Malik's prowess. No Muslim will get air in Abyada.

As the crowd grew bigger, a carriage rushed into the crowd and they quickly made their way. A servant lady in white and blue walked down and another lady followed quickly. Dressed in a dark blue abaya, with golden accessories, a veil was draped on her hair, her beauty was phenomenal, but at the moment, bewilderment, shock, and worry were laced on that face.

In the family of the El-Hayats, all were killed, and the daughters outside suffered bad fates but only one was left. The granddaughter of Burhaan El-Hayat, Zainab.

Zainab knew her family was in pain and after hearing what happened yesterday, she was devastated and couldn't believe it happened. Her eyes were pinned on the walls and her legs softened. She could see her grandfather, father, uncles, and brother....

"Ah..." Zainab choked on a cry as she covered her mouth. Her fingers trembled and her body shook.

"Baba!" She cried painfully as hot tears flowed down her eyes.

"Abba, la...la... la," she shook her head as she cried. Not her Baba, not her father. This cant happen.

Many felt pity at such sight but some loathed it. Who told them to go against the Malik? Zainab's maid held her from collapsing and slowly pulled her back to the carriage.

Even if the clouds fade, or if the seas get dried, this was a memory Zainab will never forget.

******

All I want is to be okay

What I want is for the stress to go away.

I don't wanna be depressed anymore.

Oh Allah, take my distress away.

........

Don't forget to vote🤩.