The Michelin Moment (11)

The Michelin Star award ceremony was a glittering affair, held in one of Paris's most opulent ballrooms. The crème de la crème of the culinary world mingled, air kisses and champagne flutes exchanged with practiced ease.

Amelia arrived first, her emerald gown drawing admiring glances. She scanned the room, trying to quell the butterflies in her stomach. When Jack walked in, looking dashing in his tuxedo, their eyes met across the crowded space. For a moment, the noise faded away, and it was just the two of them.

Jack made his way over, a tentative smile on his face. "You look beautiful," he said softly.

"Thank you," Amelia replied, feeling a blush creep up her cheeks. "You clean up pretty well yourself."

Before they could say more, the ceremony began. As the announcer went through the list of restaurants, the tension in the room was palpable. Finally, they reached the new one-star awards.

"Le Cygne, helmed by Chef Amelia Durand."

The room erupted in applause. Amelia stood, her heart pounding, a mix of joy and disbelief on her face. As she made her way to the stage, she caught Jack's eye. He was applauding enthusiastically, genuine happiness for her evident in his smile.

Moments later, another announcement: "Fusion, under Chef Jack Reeves."

It was Amelia's turn to cheer as Jack, looking stunned, made his way to receive his star.

As the ceremony concluded, Amelia and Jack found themselves face to face, each holding their coveted Michelin plaques.

"Congratulations," they said in unison, then laughed.

"I guess we both got what we wanted," Jack said, a hint of wistfulness in his voice.

Amelia nodded, but somehow, the victory felt incomplete.