Boiling Point (12)

The days following the Michelin ceremony were a whirlwind of press interviews, increased bookings, and congratulatory messages. Amelia and Jack were busier than ever, their newfound status bringing both opportunities and challenges.

They exchanged occasional texts, always polite, always professional, but the warmth that had characterized their relationship was noticeably absent.

It all came to a head one evening when they both attended a high-profile culinary event. As they gave interviews side by side, a reporter asked the question they'd been dreading:

"Now that you're both Michelin-starred chefs, will we see a revival of your famous rivalry?"

Amelia and Jack exchanged a look, years of shared experiences and unspoken feelings passing between them in an instant.

"Actually," Jack began, surprising even himself, "I think-"

But Amelia cut him off, her professional mask firmly in place. "We're both focused on our individual restaurants now. The collaboration was a wonderful experience, but it's time to move forward."

The words hung in the air, sharp and final. Jack's face fell, a mixture of hurt and anger flashing in his eyes.

As soon as they were away from the cameras, Jack pulled Amelia aside. "What was that about?" he demanded.

"I was just being realistic," Amelia defended, but her voice lacked conviction.

"Realistic? Or scared?" Jack challenged. "We had something special, Amelia. Not just in the kitchen. Are you really willing to throw that away for a star?"

Amelia's carefully constructed walls began to crumble. "I don't know how to do this, Jack," she admitted, her voice barely above a whisper. "Balance this... us... with our careers. It's easier to just focus on the cooking."

Jack's expression softened. "Maybe it's easier, but is it what you really want?"

Before Amelia could answer, they were interrupted by their respective teams, pulled away to different corners of the event. As they parted, both felt the weight of things left unsaid, knowing that they were at a crossroads that would define not just their careers, but their hearts.