Chapter Five: All The Stars

Mallory

Before we knew it, summer was upon us. The sun was burning at its brightest, and Kennedy was forced to wear pounds of sun-cream to make sure her pale skin didn't burn. Our graduation ceremony was short but sweet, and the last day of high school felt like it was just the beginning of something new.

"Guys, we did it." Kennedy said in wonder, tears sparkling in her eyes as the headteacher walked up to deliver their concluding speech. "I'm never going to do an inch of Biology ever again."

Cleo and I laughed at her joy. I held hands with my best friends, watching as our graduation ended with fanfare and a storm of applause. I squeezed Kennedy and Cleo into hugs. "Promise me that we'll go on a trip in the summer somewhere. Even if it's just to the beach."

"We're going somewhere." Cleo swore. We stayed in the hug for at least a minute; I sensed that Cleo and Kennedy felt the same loss as I did. It didn't help that Cleo, Reid and I were going to Collard University together. Kennedy chose to take up an engineering internship on the other side of the country.

I gave Kennedy an extra hug, and we clung to each other. "I'm going to miss you so much next year."

"We'll meet up. I'll sneak into your dorm in the mornings if I have to." Kennedy declared, holding me by the shoulders. I had no doubt that she'd act on her words.

I laughed, brushing away my tears. "I swear I'll do the same for you. I love you, Kennedy."

"I love you." Kennedy echoed. Our friendship was unbreakable. We looked at each other for a few seconds, then I turned to smile at Cleo. 

"I'm going to go meet Reid outside now. Are you guys going to be okay?" I asked, as Cleo hugged Kennedy one last time.

"More than okay." Cleo said with a thumbs up. I nodded, then I gathered my stuff to go outside. My heart was broken by Kennedy's impending withdrawal from my life. She was one of the people I loved most, and I was losing her.

But when I saw Reid waiting outside in his car, the pangs in my heart dissolved into nothing. All I could see was the summer, bright and renewing with the heat and sunshine. An endless summer of Reid.

I got into Reid's car, and my boyfriend looked over at me with a grin. "How was your last day?"

"How was yours?" I quipped. We looked at each other for a few seconds before bursting into laughter, even though nothing was really funny. But we both understood why.

We spent the whole of yesterday's evening cooking together. We kissed a lot more than we actually cooked, but an evening with Reid was something to be treasured.

"Not as amazing as it could have been. I missed you." Reid told me, kissing me on the cheek. His eyes drew in at the corners as he smiled, his gaze warm and sweet in the sunlight.

I leaned back into my seat, sighing happily. "I missed you more."

"Trust me, I feel it more than you do." Reid replied with a wry smile. He looked at me for a second before he leaned in for one last tiny kiss.

I smiled as he pulled away. "What was that for?"

Reid smiled, his eyes bright. "Something for a rainy day. Can I take you somewhere?"

I raised my eyebrows. "Depends on where it is."

"Mallory, can I keep some secrecy for once?" Reid complained.

I undid my high ponytail, fingers working to release my hair into soft waves. Reid's eyes watched my hair spill onto my shoulders, and I hid my smile. "You know I don't like secrets." I told him.