Chapter Eight: Adore You

Mallory

My friend Cleo christened our hangout spot in Capricorn Woods 'the Lake' when we were fifteen. Three guesses on why we chose that particular name. Spoiler, it was because Capricorn Woods bordered the biggest lake in Merlot. It wasn't a very creative nickname, I know.

I loved the Lake because Reid and I spent countless evenings together here. Memories floated in the clean, crisp air and the gleaming cerulean water next to us.

Conveniently, our group of friends drove straight into the clearing, because the woods were sparse. Reid and Nick's cars were our current transport. Once we unpacked our camping stuff for the night, Cleo, Reid and Nick took charge of cooking and bonfire control. Tony was dancing with Cleo, and they were laughing together.

I sat alone on Nina's collapsible loveseat with my knees drawn to my chest, thinking about how beautiful the sky looked at night. The constellations weaved their paths above us, transcending space and time. Our plan tonight was to sleep under the stars.

"What are you thinking about?" Reid asked me. His dark eyes sparked into gold, reflecting the light of the campfire as he sat next to me.

I tore my eyes away from the sky to smile at my boyfriend, reaching out to play with his hair. "I'm thinking about how perfect you are." I considered my words, then shrugged. "Well, I wasn't really. But it's true."

Reid quelled my speech with a soft look, tucking a stray curl behind my ear. "It's funny that you're calling me perfect, considering you're the very definition of it."

I quirked an eyebrow at him. "You're smooth tonight. Got any other lines for me?"

"Are you kidding? I have a list committed to memory." Reid quipped, and I laughed. He leaned back against the loveseat, letting out an awed sigh as he stared up at the sky. "Wow. Now I know what you were thinking about. It definitely wasn't me."

"Do you want me to think about you more?" I teased him.

"Not necessarily. I've missed you, these past few weeks. We've been buried in finals." he complained.

"We also survived our first year of college. Take this time as our reward." I soothed him, snuggling against his shoulder. I felt Reid kiss my forehead, and I smiled into his shirt.

"About that," Reid began, moving to settle his head on my lap. His long legs dangled off the edge of the seat, but he didn't seem to mind. I placed my hands in his hair, wondering what he was talking about.

"What is it? You need to be somewhere?" I asked.

"Yeah, I need to pick something up. I'll be gone twenty minutes, max."

"Can I come with you?" I asked, curling my body into his, because Reid was warmer than me.

"No!" Reid said abruptly. I looked at him with wide eyes, then laughed, relaxing.

"Wow, okay. Are you going to be with your secret celebrity girlfriend?" I teased. Despite my relaxed disposition, I wondered what could evoke such a reaction from Reid.

He relaxed, his dimples appearing as he spoke. "Sure I am. I have a whole list of girlfriends, one for each day of the week. You, Mallory, are my Sunday girl." He leaned in closer, whispering conspiratorially to me behind his hand. "That's why I spend more time with you."

I rolled my eyes, pushing him away. "Very funny."

He put a hand on his heart. "You think I'm not serious? Baby, I'm serious all the time. Especially about you being my Sunday girl."

I huffed. "Fine, go continue your secret love affair. Fair warning, you'll be coming back to your stuff in a box outside my door, labelled 'you don't know what you're missing.' That's if you're lucky."