Chapter Three

At The Haus of Dance that evening, a few of the regular students arrived early for the six o'clock Intro to Pole Dance class. Among them, was Shannon, a young, twenty-four-year-old, who presented as shy. However, her exhibitionist side was on full display when she performed during class. Visions of her in future pole competitions flashed before me.

Then there was Brianna, a petite forty-year-old, and married since the age of twenty-one. She began taking classes about a year ago, to make up for lost time. Perfecting all the beginner pole moves, she was ready for the next level classes. It was nice to watch her confidence grow. I'd have to ask Trixi if she was encouraging her to move up.

On the other hand, Brianna's husband, who I met once, had angry man energy. Brianna never showed any signs of distress, so I stayed out of it.

Luckily, I had no psychic dreams about anything happening at the studio, and when my clairvoyance kicked in, which it always did, I just let the thoughts float by. My dance studio was an escape from my other life. And I wanted it to stay that way.

"Hi, how can I help you?" I asked, focusing on the gorgeous twins standing before me.

"Hi, I'm Casey, and I'm Connie, we're here for the Intro to Pole Class." They chimed in perfect harmony.

"Hi I'm Hunter. You guys look like you might be new to the studio?"

"Yes, we are." One answered, while the other one shook her head, yes. They looked like two pin-up starlets, with their jet-black hair in block braids, golden skin tone, piercing blue eyes and curvy Kim Kardashian-style bodies.

"Did you two pre-register for the class?" I spun the tablet's screen towards me and navigated it with my finger.

"Yes." They answered in unison again. I wondered if it was a regular thing, when someone asked a question that they answered at the same time. I hoped not.

"Great, I should be able to find you. Your last name?" I glanced up at them, waiting to see if they were going to  answer together.

"Kazarian". Connie replied. A fitting last name for these two. By all appearances, they looked like a Middle Eastern mix of some sort, a beautiful mix, whatever it was.

"Wow, how long does it take to learn those moves?" Casey asked, not chiming in with her twin because Casey had her eyes glued on Mitch, who was practicing  before Trixi's class started.

Like poetry in motion, he was transitioning from one trick to another down the pole.

"It took him about eight months of steady commitment to make his pole flow look effortless like that."

Casey's question took me back to when Mitch entered his first pole competition in LA, and placed second. He had only been a student at the studio a year before he won his first medal.

Placing first in his next competition wasn't too far off for him. Not all students advance that quickly. But Mitch was already an experienced ballet dancer, before joining the studio. So transitioning to pole dancing was easy for him. He moved from Intro classes to tricks and spins class quicker than someone with no dance background. All newbies had something they needed to work on. His was adapting to a new dance style and making it look effortless.

After Mitch's near perfect descent down the pole, he started cleaning up his space so that Trixi, could begin her class.

I noticed that today's class was filled with all women, which wasn't always the case. As pole dancing grew in popularity, men started coming through the studio, and sometimes they liked it so much they stayed, like Mitch.