the tension
it's getting hotter
i'd like to hold her head underwater

R U T H P O V

He threw me a coke instead.

"Thanks," I mumbled.

"What was that?"

"Thanks," I spoke, louder this time. Loud enough for him to hear, surely.

His gaze met mine. He had an amused expression on his face.

"Sorry, I can't hear you," he mused, his pearly whites shining through as he smiled. "Say that again?"

Of course.

"Get a life, Greyson," I replied, rolling my eyes as I went to sit down next to Louise and Jordan. The boys (AKA Liam and Quinten) were currently throwing around a beachball they had taken with out of the van.

I wondered how long the thing would last before it would inevitably be destroyed.

"So, how long have you guys been friends?" I asked Jordan, my curiosity taking over. As I spoke, I felt an annoying presence sit down next to me, which I decided to ignore.

"Well, me and Liam have been friends a long time, since middle school actually," she remarked, looking at the two boys running around with a faint smile on her face. "But we became friends with Quinten and Elias like two years ago. Kind of the same way it happened with you, Quinten just showed up at our lunch table one day. The moron couldn't resist."

A smile took over my face.

"Good to know he has an MO," I remarked, looking at Quinten who was diving head first into a big pile of mud, trying to catch the ball.

A loud 'umph' was heard soon after.

"He's sweet," Louise added, grinning widely when Quentin lifted up his hand in the air, giving a thumbs up. "You all are."

Yeah, except for one.

Elias nodded in acknowledgment. Jordan murmured a thanks.

"I think we're gonna be great friends," I remarked.

Elias put his arm around me. "Aww, me too," he mocked, smirking.

I attempted to shove him away, to no avail. He was like an inmovable iron statue. I felt the ridges of his muscles under my fingertips, but tried not to dwell on it. Altough my face did redden a tinge.

Instead, I decided simply to punch him repeatedly until it hurt enough to let go.

It didn't.

"Let go of me, you insufferable ass!" I exclaimed through a ragged breath.

He laughed at me as his arm moved away.

"You," I panted, scowling, "are so annoying."

He raised an eyebrow. "I am? Gosh, you wound me."

"Watch out!" Quinten shouted, before I noticed a ball launching straight towards my face.

Before I had the chance to react, I saw a hand shoot out in front of me, catching the ball in one hand.

"Watch where you throw, dumbass," Elias grumbled, scowling. Then he proceeded to launch the ball back, hitting Quinten in the face.