chapter 10

╭─〔❨✧✧❩〕─╮

╭─〔❨✧✧❩〕─╮

the one month mark was up.

and that only meant one thing.

the team was in the middle of practice, usual banter against a certain pair of first years and the third years having to stop it before it gets out of hand. all was going well.

nishinoya was diving for a save when tanaka jogged up to him.

"bro, bro, how's it going with l/n?" tanaka asked, keeping his voice low enough to avoid drawing attention.

noya received the ball as soon as he stiffened, making it go a little off course. his heart clenched at the reminder of the bet. he glanced around nervously, hoping no one else was listening. he got up from the floor, gesturing to ennoshita to stop so he could talk to tanaka.

"can we not right now?" he muttered.

"what? stop playing," tanaka pressed, oblivious to noya's discomfort. "it's been a month. it's done. or did you give up?"

noya felt a surge of anger and frustration. the weight of the fact that he was lying to y/n grew everyday, and it was getting heavy.

he couldn't bear it any longer. he clenched his fists, his nails digging into his palms.

"oh, my god." tanaka suddenly gasped. "don't tell me you already dropped him!"

that's not it...

"damn, noya, how cruel can you be?"

"i didn't!"

noya's shout echoed throughout the gym, making every stop what they were doing and look at the two 2nd-years.

"i didn't stop talking to him, but i hate it! i hate lying to him, i hated it from the start. i never should've taken you on that stupid bet! why did i do that?"

tanaka's grin faded, glancing away from noya. he lifted a finger slowly. "noya-"

"i can't keep pretending," noya interrupted, his voice trembling with emotion. "i never wanted to hurt him. it backfired on me so bad... paying me money to make y/n my friend, well i became his first! then you pay me more to make him fall for me? and looks like i won that one too because now we're boyfriends! ugh i can't take it anymore!! i have no idea when it didn't start to feel like a b-"

"noya!" tanaka shouted.

"what!?"

he grabbed noya's shoulders and forcefully turned him around.

and there, noya saw y/n standing by the gym doors, a blank look on his face with a small box on the ground in front of him.

his eyes were wide, and for a moment, it seemed as though he was frozen in place.

noya's heart stopped, staring at y/n with frightened eyes.

oh damn it! he completely forgot he made plans with y/n. and he even forgot that he told him he could wait until he was done with practice in the gym.

how long had he been standing there? how much did he hear?

"y/n..." he whispered, his heart sinking.

y/n blinked, and tears started to well up in his eyes. his heartbeat began to rise as his chest tightened.

was this really happening to him?

please, don't do this to him.

what did he do to deserve this?

y/n forced himself to move, going over to stand right in front of noya. the libero looked at him with wide eyes, not being able to bring himself to say something.

y/n brought up a fist.

and noya closed his eyes, preparing for the worst.

but then, he felt a soft, barley noticeable thump on his chest where his heart was.

he opened his eyes and glanced down to see y/n with his fist over his heart.

"don't talk to me... don't look at me," y/n started slowly, bringing his fist down. he was shaking, a lot. "i can't believe... you..." he heaved slightly, backing away. "you're fucking sick, nishinoya."

he turned and opened the door quickly, sprinting away with a choked sob. his footsteps echoing as he ran away, leaving the door open.

nishinoya took a second to process what happened before he finally reacted. "wait!" he called out, stumbling towards the doors. "y/n, wait!"

but y/n was already gone, leaving nishinoya standing in the doorway, the weight of his actions crashing down on him. the team watched in stunned silence, unsure of what to say or do.

tanaka stepped forward, placing a hand on nishinoya's shoulder. "noya, i'm sorry. i didn't realize... i didn't know it was like... that."

nishinoya slapped tanaka's hand off his shoulder, head hung low and lips trembling.

sugawara walked over slowly, picking up the box y/n dropped and opening it. it was a leather band.

he silently handed it to nishinoya, who took it like his body was working on autopilot. he looked at it, and saw his and y/n's initials engraved into the inner part.

his tears hit the leather as he gripped it in his hands.

.

.