Chapter 13

I hear booming commotion this afternoon during lunch as the faculty gathers around in a circle in the Great Hall.

They're back.

Disheveled and terror-stricken they stand, with wounds and bruises marking every inch of their skin.

Maybe if they had been more welcoming to me I'd go and ask them what happened, but as it stands I think gossip regarding what happened to them will suffice. Surely Brax will tell me anyway.

Phoebe on the other hand, has finally made a recovery and has been released from the hospital wing. She begins to approach me to tell me what happened, apparently they claim they had wandered too far into the forbidden forest and been trying to escape the centaurs that held them captive.

Load of bollocks that is.

No matter.

I observe as their expressions tighten at the sight of something behind me, and when I turn around I see none other than Riddle. I don't really think much of it, I even think there are professors at this school who fear him. Although it is suspicious that his own friends grow pale at the mere look of him. I watch as he approaches them with his usual unbothered and cool demeanor, whispers something in their ears, and wishes them a speedy recovery.

Again, that is usual for Riddle. Your friends were only missing for nearly 3 weeks right? Surely a lack of concern and sympathy for them is expected.

Out of the corner of my eye I can see Brax approaching me with a giddy smile on his face, and as much as I am grateful for his kindness I launch for an excuse to avoid them.

And that excuse happens to be Riddle.

Literally.

He watches disdainfully as I scatter to pick up the pile of books I had just dropped while bumping into him. The first sliver of interaction we've had in weeks.

I look up while I'm on my knees, waiting for him to be a gentleman and help me out. Instead, he cocks a suggestive eyebrow that I try not to notice. Hesitantly, he leans down to help me finally.

As he picks up the books he slides a sarcastic comment my way.

"Ever graceful as always, Swan." He states coolly.

I snap back at him. "Ever arrogant as expected, Riddle. Is it safe to assume that you are finally breaking your ignoring Ellanora streak and realizing how utterly boring your existence is when you're not scolding me?"

"Finally? You say... Correct me if I'm wrong, Swan, but it seems to me as though you are more than eager to have me scolding you again, as you say." He replied.

Frozen, I realize how that sounded. I also noticed the tease in his voice when he said the word "scolding."

"Yeah that's likely. I'm not sure what I would do with myself if you gave me another week of tranquility." I reply with a bratty tone. "God forbid I'm away from you... What a terrible and ghastly existence I would have without your irritating presence."

He looked angry, his eyes darkened like he was about to throw the killing curse my way.

Then out of nowhere, it seemed his eyes lightened to just the slightest and utmost marginal amount. The coffee-like shade of his dark brown eyes softened to a lighter brown, as if you added just a splash of milk, as if he was allowing just a little playfulness into his expression. I could've sworn he was fighting a hint of a smile. I felt a wave of relief instantly. As intimidating as he was, Riddle was many things, but he was not a murderer.

"You can just say you missed me." He states.

He had fueled a rage within me.

"I think the better phrase would be that I long for another moment where I don't need to be plagued by the sight of you." I replied, defiantly. I was one of the stubborn ones, and the last thing that I'd admit is that the past few weeks I've been secretly hoping Riddle would start a conversation with me, while secretly hoping he wasn't reading my mind while I was thinking it. Or worse, reading my mind and still pretending I didn't exist.