Chapter 2

Sky's heart pounded as Lucas held her wrists, his grip firm but not painful. She glared at him, her mind racing with suspicion. The way he moved, the way he spoke-it all felt wrong. She had a gut feeling that he might be a Radiant, and the thought made her blood boil.

"I'll let you go," Lucas said calmly, his voice low and steady. "But you need to promise not to attack me again."Sky's eyes narrowed. "And why would I do that?"

"Because I'm not your enemy," he replied, loosening his grip slightly. "I need your help."

Sky snorted, her suspicion deepening. "Help with what? And why should I believe you?"

Lucas sighed, his grip tightening for a moment before he released her. "Look, I know you don't trust me, but I'm not here to cause trouble. I just need to talk to your leader. It's urgent."

Sky rubbed her wrists, stepping back but keeping her eyes locked on him. "Fine," she said reluctantly. "But don't think for a second that I trust you."

Lucas nodded, his expression serious. "I know you don't Barbie."

As they walked through the village, Sky couldn't help but watch him closely, looking for any signs that he was a Radiant. She asked him questions, trying to catch him in a lie. "Where are you from?" she asked.

"North," Lucas replied simply, his eyes scanning the surroundings.

"Why did you come here?" she pressed.

Lucas met her gaze, his eyes unwavering. "I told you, I need help. My brother is sick, and I heard your leader might know something that can save him."

Sky's suspicion grew. It was too convenient, too perfect an excuse. "And what makes you think we can help?" she challenged.

Lucas sighed, his frustration showing for the first time. "I don't have time for this. If you want to help, fine. If not, I'll find someone else."

Sky's grip tightened on her knife, but she forced herself to stay calm. "Fine," she said grudgingly. "I'll take you to the Rida."

They walked in silence, the tension between them palpable. When they reached the leader's hut, Sky knocked on the door. A moment later, it opened to reveal a middle-aged man with stern features and tired eyes.

"Sky," he said, nodding in greeting. "Who's this?""This is Lucas," Sky replied. "He says he needs to talk to you."

The Rida looked Lucas over, his expression unreadable. "I have an emergency to deal with right now," he said finally. "I'll talk to him in the morning."

Lucas nodded, understanding. "Thank you."As they turned to leave, Lucas looked at Sky. "Can you guide me to where the woods are?" he asked.

Sky looked at him weirdly. "Why do you need the woods?"

Lucas smirked, a teasing glint in his eyes. "You sure do have a lot of questions, Barbie. How about I ask some as well?"

Sky didn't answer, just observing him. She suddenly realized how handsome he was, despite the dirt and weariness. There was something about his confidence that made her uneasy.

"Fine," Lucas finally answered. "I thought I might spend the night in a place where I won't bother anyone, you know, with the fact you guys 'don't like strangers here.'"

Sky hesitated, realizing he had nowhere to go. "You can stay at my place," she said reluctantly. "But don't get too comfortable." She wasn't sure why she offered-perhaps it was a mix of curiosity and the ingrained hospitality her father had always taught her.

Lucas smiled, a hint of amusement in his eyes. "I wouldn't dream of it."When they arrived, Sky opened the door to find her father cooking, an old Beatles song playing softly from the radio. The familiar scent of stew filled the air, momentarily comforting her.

"Sky," her father said, glancing up with a warm smile before his gaze shifted to Lucas. "Who's your guest?" He extended his hand to Lucas. "I'm Tom, Sky's father."

Lucas shook his hand, "This is Lucas," Sky replied. "He needs a place to stay for the night. He says he has something urgent to discuss with the Rida."

Sky's father nodded, his expression thoughtful. "You can stay in Noah's room," he said finally.

Sky stiffened at the mention of Noah, her heart aching. She led Lucas to the room, trying to keep her emotions in check. When they reached the door, she turned to him, her eyes hard. "This is my brother's room," she said, her voice tight with emotion. "Don't touch anything."

Lucas looked at her, his expression unreadable. "I won't," he said quietly.As he stepped inside, he glanced around, taking in the sparse furnishings and the sense of loss that hung in the air. He turned back to Sky, a small smile playing at his lips. "Would you prefer I sleep in your room?" he asked, his tone teasing.

Sky's eyes widened, and she felt a flush of anger and embarrassment. "Don't even think about it," she snapped, turning on her heel and leaving the room.

She walked back to her own room, her mind racing with conflicting emotions. She didn't trust Lucas, but there was something about him that intrigued her. She couldn't shake the feeling that he was hiding something, and she was determined to find out what it was.

Just as she was beginning to drift off to sleep, she heard a loud noise from Noah's room. Sky's heart raced as she jumped out of bed and ran to check. She flung the door open, ready for anything.