Something Right

"Hey!" I felt someone throw their arms around my back, "You played so good!"

A familiar feeling of warmth rushed over my body once my mind registered who was holding me, "Thanks, baby." I turned around to face her, her arms still around me, "I saw you and Melly in the crowd."

She smiled brighter, "I like having him around."

I acknowledged the sudden change of atmosphere. The room lit up and the weight I had on my shoulders was finally lifted, "Just wait till we have some of our own."

Her pupils dilated, "That's what I'm most excited for in our future."

I put my arm around her shoulder and began to move us towards the doors where Malachi was impatiently waiting for us, "You're not excited about us being rich and traveling everywhere?"

She shrugged, "I'm excited to do that. But I was put on this Earth to love you," She kissed my cheek, "and to be a mom."

My heart could have exploded right then and there. I was smiling ear to ear all the way to the car.

"And finally, when she was all over you, you literally hit the puck! Into the goal! Without even trying." Malachi slumped back in his seat, "I hate how unfair the world is for women! You'd be all over the news for that if you were a dude."

I shrugged, "Don't sweat it, Melly. Ima be in the hall one day. First woman to do so."

Scarlett rubbed my back, "Oh, we know it." She looked ahead of us at the nearly empty road ahead of us.

"And you guys will be-"

Tires screeching behind us made me stop my corny sentence and pull the car over to the side just in case there was a drunk driver on the road.

I want my family safe.

Then there was a large boom and I turned around in my seat to see two cars and a growing set of flames.

There were people coming out of their houses to assess the situation but they all just sat there and watched the flames grow bigger.

And then there were screams.

No one moved.

I unbuckle my seatbelt and throw my door open.

"Nat." Scarlett grabbed my arm.

I looked down at her, "No one is doing anything!" I looked at Malachi in the backseat, "Come on. Scar, call 911."

Melly practically jumped out of the car as soon as I said to and we ran full speed towards the cars, the smell and the screams getting worse by the minute.

"Help me! Please." A teenage girl, barely older than Melly, was stuck in her car. A pick-up truck had T-boned her driver's side and she was stuck against a metal pole on the other.

"Hold on!" I put my hand over my mouth and ran to the truck. The man inside was unconscious.

And of course his door was locked.

"Melly! Check the passenger door!"

He nodded and ran around the truck, the passenger side was locked as well.

I looked around for a moment, the adrenaline starting to kick in.

Quickly, I took off my shirt and wrapped my hand with it. And I punched the window. After finally opening the door, Melly helped me pull the man to the side of the road.

I checked his pulse. Weak but there.

I racked my brain for any information remaining from the one lifeguard course I took during my Sophomore year.