The Web of Lies

We moved Jungkook back to the warehouse after stopping the bleeding. The dim, cold space was familiar, a stark reminder of our criminal underworld. I was tasked with taking care of him due to my skills from working at the police department. As I cleaned his wound, the weight of our situation pressed down on me.
Jungkook winced as I dabbed antiseptic on the gash. His eyes were filled with regret and pain. "Hyejin, I'm sorry," he murmured. "For hitting you. I was out of line."
I didn't look up, focusing on my task. "You need to understand that I'm trying to do something for myself. You have to respect that."
He nodded weakly, his gaze lingering on me. "I get it. I was just... I don't know. I let my emotions get the best of me."
Silence stretched between us, heavy and unresolved. I finished bandaging his wound, feeling a mix of frustration and pity. I couldn't afford to let my guard down, not now.
Later, Jimin pulled me aside. His eyes were sharp, filled with concern. "What happened to your face?" he asked, his voice tense.
I forced a smile, sticking to the story I had given Hoseok. "It was just a random mugger. Nothing to worry about."
Jimin frowned, clearly not satisfied. "Why was Jungkook at your apartment, then?"
My heart raced, but I kept my expression neutral. "He needed help with something. When I was about to open the door, that's when he got shot."
The lie slipped easily from my lips, but it twisted in my gut. Jimin's eyes searched mine, looking for the truth. Finally, he seemed to accept my story, pulling in into a hug.
I stiffened at first, but then emotions I had been holding back crashed over me. I broke down in his arms, the tears flowing freely. Jimin held me tightly, his presence a small comfort in chaos.
"It's going to be okay," he whispered, his voice soothing. "We'll get through this."
I nodded, but inside, I wasn't so sure. The web of lies I was weaving was becoming more tangled, and I knew it was only a matter of time before everything came crashing down. For now, I had to keep going, keep pretending that I had everything under control. But the truth was, I was just as lost as the rest of them.