Chapter 12 - Tessa

The next morning, I wake up to the soft sound of footsteps in the hallway. Hardin is still sleeping beside me, his face peaceful and relaxed. I carefully slip out of bed, trying not to wake him, and head to the kitchen to make breakfast. I want to make this morning special, a warm welcome back to our normal routine.

As I'm cracking eggs into a bowl, I hear a sleepy voice behind me. "Morning, Mom."

I turn to see Emery, her hair tousled from sleep, rubbing her eyes. "Morning, sweetheart. Did you sleep well?"

She nods and sits down at the kitchen table. "Is Dad home?"

I smile and nod. "He got in late last night. He's still sleeping, though. Let's let him rest for a bit."

Emery grins. "Can I help with breakfast?"

"Of course," I say, handing her the whisk. "How about you whisk the eggs?"

As Emery starts whisking, Auden comes bounding down the stairs, his energy a stark contrast to his sister's calm demeanor. "Is Dad really back?" he asks, his excitement barely contained.

"Yes, he is," I reply, ruffling his hair. "But he's still asleep, so let's keep it down for now, okay?"

Auden nods eagerly and takes a seat next to Emery, watching her whisk the eggs. The sight of them working together makes my heart swell. Despite the chaos and challenges, these moments make everything worthwhile.

Breakfast is nearly ready when Hardin finally appears, looking slightly groggy but happy. "Good morning, everyone," he says, his voice still thick with sleep.

"Dad!" Auden shouts, running over to hug him. Hardin scoops him up, holding him close.

"Hey, buddy. I missed you," Hardin says, kissing the top of Auden's head.

Emery smiles at her father, her eyes shining with happiness. "Welcome back, Dad."

"Thanks, Em. I missed you too," Hardin replies, giving her a warm hug.

We all sit down to breakfast together, the conversation flowing easily as we catch up. Hardin tells the kids about his trip, and they eagerly share their own stories. It feels like a piece of our family has fallen back into place, and I'm grateful for this moment of togetherness.

After breakfast, we start planning the final details for Auden's birthday party. Hardin's presence adds an extra layer of excitement, and the kids are thrilled to have their dad involved. We decide on a superhero theme, something Auden has been obsessed with lately.

As the day progresses, we work together to prepare decorations, plan games, and bake a cake. The house is filled with laughter and activity, and I can't help but feel a deep sense of contentment. This is what I've missed—the simple joy of being together as a family.

Later that evening, after the kids are in bed, Hardin and I sit on the couch, reflecting on the day. "You did an amazing job with everything while I was gone," he says, his arm around me.

"Thank you," I reply, leaning into him. "But I'm glad you're back. It's not the same without you."

He kisses my forehead. "I'm glad to be back too. I missed you all so much."

We sit in comfortable silence for a while, just enjoying each other's presence. No matter what challenges we face, I know we'll get through them together. And that's all that matters.