CHAPTER IV

"Wow, that apocalypse started out very strong," Maia said.

"The truth is, yes," Rodrigo agreed.

"It was," Ronald added.

"And what happened next?" Maia asked.

"I'll continue the story, but first, I need to use the bathroom. Do you know where it is?" Ronald asked, sounding a bit impatient. "I haven't gone in 15 hours."

"It's at the end of the hall on the left. It's marked with an image of a squid," Rodrigo said.

"A squid?" Maia and Ronald asked in unison. "We both had the same question, but I don't think we were looking for the same information," Maia noted.

"That's right. In space, a squid is a Kraken," Rodrigo explained. "The symbol was chosen about 5000 years ago during a meeting of the Supreme Commission, where most beings of space gathered. It was decided that the Kraken would denote the men's bathroom, while the women's bathroom is marked with a mermaid. The term 'mermaid' is universal across space."

"I see," they said together. "Well, I think I've talked enough and need to rest my throat. How about you tell me something about space?" Ronald suggested.

"What do you want to know?" Rodrigo asked.

"History, particularly if there's been any war," Ronald replied.

"There have been several," Maia said.

"I'll tell you about the Millennial War of Mylkion I."

"That sounds fascinating, but first, I need to use the bathroom," Ronald said. "I'll be right back."

As Ronald went to the bathroom, he pondered how such a war might have unfolded and the idea of a commission being formed to designate bathroom symbols. He was very intrigued and wanted to learn more. Meanwhile, Rodrigo and Maia sat in silence until Maia spoke up.

"I'm really sorry for insulting you. I can be like that sometimes," she said.

"Believe it or not, I actually found what you said amusing. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way," Rodrigo replied.

"Actually, you didn't. You're funny. I think we just got off on the wrong foot," Maia said.

"Yes, although I suspect we'll have a few more disagreements," Rodrigo said with a laugh.

"I think so," Maia agreed, laughing as well.

"He's taking a long time in the bathroom. Considering he hasn't gone in 15 hours, his bladder might have exploded if he hadn't," Rodrigo commented.

"It would have been a bit funny if that had happened," Maia said with a chuckle.

"You're mean, but it would have been somewhat amusing," Rodrigo said, laughing too.

"Alright, I'm back," Ronald said as he returned to his seat. "Looks like you two are getting along a bit better."

"We've apologized for what we said, but I don't think it will be the last time," Maia said.

"Well, Rodrigo, tell me about the war," Ronald said eagerly. "I assume Maia knows some of it."

"I know a few things," Maia confirmed.

"Alright, let's get into the story," Rodrigo said. "It all started 11,000 years ago. Back then, there were many problems; no one respected anyone. Each planet had established rules that everyone had to follow, but if you were a foreigner, the first thing that happened was imprisonment, followed by torture, and then anyone passing by could do whatever they wanted to you. Therefore, no one who wasn't a native inhabitant of a planet was allowed entry.