Chapter 4

POV: Audrey Taylor

Classes. Mid-terms. Babysitting. Emma. Liam.

I drummed my fingers against my desk, trying to collect my scattered thoughts. The light music drifting from the small speakers distracted me from the little accumulation of my reality. Still, I knew where I was headed, and that was my main concern. I had one light at the end of this tunnel and I was determined to get to it.

I flipped through my notes, trying to get ahead for my upcoming tests. It seemed as winter closed in, so did the academics. However, I figured it would all be worth it . . . Eventually. Just had to get through the next few years.

As always though, I was interuppted. My phone rang aloud, signaling someone was calling. I huffed as I stood to grab it from my bed. I was rather surprised as Liam's name appeared.

We had swapped the necessary information yesterday at our meeting, including our numbers and address. He seemed pretty nonchalant about the whole ordeal, but I knew he was still unsure of me. In all, I could only wonder why. Had I given him reason to distrust me already? Was there something more?

His easily recognizable voice came onto the line, "Hello? Audrey?"

"Hello, Liam. Everything alright?" I asked lightly.

"Everything's fine. However, I did get called into a late meeting with Lou and some board members of the label. You free to watch Emma for a couple hours?"

"Yes, of course," I answered politely. "When would you need me to be over?"

"I need to be at the studio in about an hour. Could you be here in . . . twenty minutes? So, we can go over a few things before I go?" His voice was firm and professional.

I glanced to the clock. It was about 6:30 in the evening. I looked back to my school work and finally answered, "I'll be there. See you in twenty."

"See you then," the tone of his voice softened.

And, with that, he ended the call. Leaving only me and the remaining silence on the line.

I closed my book and packed my notes before getting up. Quickly, I walked over my closet and found a change of clothes from my current sweats and tank top. I settled on a simple pair of skinnies with a slightly large hoodie, topping it off with a reliable pair of Vans. I brushed my hair out hurriedly, leaving it in its natural waves. I found my purse and checked the clock once more. 6:38 PM.

Twelve more minutes.

I glanced around my room one last time before exiting into the dorm hallway. I hurried through the building to the outside courtyard. Luckily, the bus came into view as I approached the stop.

I dropped my bus fare into the collective bin and went to my usual spot near the middle of the vehicle. As I had planned out, Liam's place was the second stop after Uni, so it seemed I would be just on time.

Thankfully, the bus wasn't crowded, and the first stop only released a small trickle of people. At this rate, I would have nothing to worry about. I just hoped things continued as they were. I couldn't be late the first time he needed me.

As the bus came to another stop, I could see what I suspected to be Liam's building.

It was what I expected for the most part. Definitely one of the better residences in London. Everything about the place showed extravagance and power, quite similar to the way Liam carried himself.