Chapter 6

POV: Liam Payne

It all happened so quickly. Mere seconds. From chaos to battered, twisted metal. My eyes scanned the scene, not quite waiting  to see the inevitable outcome. Still, I ran over to the SUV, an exact replica to my own, aside from its overwhelming damage.

"Gabby! Gabby! Gabriella! Baby?" I called as I ran closer to the vehicle.

I wedged the door open to get closer to her.

Her quietened voice was tense, strangled almost, "Liam..." She coughed, wincing as she did so.

Emma's young cry rang out. She knew something wasn't right. I kept her injured mother from her sight of view, but it didn't get rid of the anxiety in our voices.

"Emma, Baby Girl... Mummy's here. Everything's okay, Sweetheart," She cooed quietly.

"Baby, please just hold on, please. Help is on its way," I reached out, holding her hand.

I couldn't lose her. Not after everything we've been through. Not with Emma only knowing her not her for just under a year. I couldn't live without my Gabby in this world. She was mine forever and always, as we had said. Our forever couldn't have been cut this short, could it?

She was supposed to see our baby girl grow up and become a woman as beautiful and as strong as herself. We were supposed to grow old together...

"Liam..." Her voice was considerably weaker now. "Listen to me..."

My heart sped as I braced myself for her words. I squeezed her hand, urging her to go on.

"Li, you and our Emma are the best things that ever happened to me. So, I'm going to need you to take care of each other..." She began.

"No. Love, don't talk like that. You are gonna make it," I fought tears back. "Don't give up on me..."

"I'll never give up on you," She said, almost inaudible. "I-I'm just tired, Liam..."

"Gabby, this isn't goodbye..." I choked out as her grip on my hand grew weaker and weaker.

"It's see you later," She breathed out. "I love you."

"I love you..."

Her eyes fluttered shut, and her hand fell from mine. And, just like that... She was gone, leaving Emma and I standing there...

Alone.

***************

A tug at my sleeve pulled me from the nightmare that was my past. I awoke covered in sweat with tear stains on my cheeks. And, I was then face to face with those darling brown eyes so close to my own.

"Daddy?" She looked at me from my bedside, "You were crying..."

I quickly wiped my cheeks, eliminating the evidence. I sat up and took my baby girl into my arms. I took a deep breath, clearing my voice before speaking, "I'm okay, Emmie. Just a bad dream, that's all."