The Prologue

The house was quiet, almost freakishly so, as Taylor stood in the nursery, gazing down at her sleeping daughter. Poppy's tiny chest rose and fell in a steady rhythm, her delicate fingers curled around a soft bunny teddy. The serenity of the moment was a heavy contrast to the ache within Taylor's heart.

A creak of floorboards behind her announced Travis's arrival. She didn't turn to face him, knowing he would be leaning against the doorframe, arms crossed, wearing the same weary expression he had been wearing for the past month.

"We need to talk," Travis said softly, his voice strained with the weight of countless sleepless nights and endless arguments.

Taylor sighed, her eyes never leaving Poppy. "I know."

They had been dancing around this moment for weeks, perhaps even months, each of them waiting for the other to break the silence. But now, as the reality of their situation loomed before them, Taylor felt an overwhelming sense of dread.

"I don't think this is working," Travis continued, his voice cracking slightly. "For either of us."

Taylor finally turned to face him, her eyes meeting his. The man she had once adored, who had been her rock, now seemed like a stranger. His eyes, once filled with warmth and love, were now clouded with frustration and sorrow.

"I don't want to give up on us," she whispered, her voice trembling. "But I don't know how to fix this."

Travis took a step forward, closing the distance between them. "I don't either, Taylor. But we can't keep pretending everything is okay. It's not fair to Poppy. It's not fair to us."

The silence that followed was heavy with unspoken words, memories of a time when they had been happy, when their love had seemed unbreakable. But the cracks had begun to show, widening with each argument, each harsh word, until there was nothing left to hold them together.

Their final argument had been the breaking point. It had started over something trivial, as simple as a misplaced set of keys, but quickly escalated into a shouting match that laid bare all the resentment and pain they had been carrying.

"You never listen to me!" Taylor had shouted, her voice shaking with anger and frustration. "All you care about is your job. I gave up mine and yet you're never here for us!"

Travis's face had turned red, and his knuckles white as he clenched onto the kitchen counter. "You know i can't control what i work! You think I enjoy being away all the time? You think this is what I wanted?"

"You don't even try anymore," Taylor had sobbed, tears streaming down her face. "You come home late, you don't talk to me, and when you do, all we do is fight. This isn't a marriage, Travis. It's hell."

"Maybe if you weren't so controlling, we wouldn't be fighting all the time!" Travis had shot back, his voice harsh and biting. "You're always nagging, always finding something wrong. I can't do anything right in your eyes."

Taylor had turned away, unable to bear the sight of him. "Maybe we're just not meant to be together anymore. Maybe this was a mistake."

The words had hung in the air like a death sentence. In that moment, they both knew that the love they had once shared was buried beneath layers of hurt and bitterness.

Back in the nursery, Taylor's tears blurred her vision as she looked at Travis. "But I love you, Travis. I'm sure we can figure this out, maybe you just need to talk to your boss about shorter hours."

Travis reached out, taking her hand in his. "I love you too Taylor, i always will but it's been months and this is only getting worse. I'm sorry but we'll always be Poppy's parents. We'll always be in each other's lives because of her. We just... we need to figure out how to do that apart."

Taylor nodded, squeezing his hand. A single tear leaking from her eye.

But as they stood there, hand in hand, watching their daughter sleep, the weight of their decision settled over them like a heavy fog. The reality of their separation hit them both with a force that left them breathless.

"I'm so sorry," Taylor choked out, tears streaming down her face. "I never wanted this."

Travis pulled her into his arms, holding her tightly as his own tears fell. "Me neither," he whispered, his voice breaking. "I'm so sorry, Taylor."

They clung to each other, sobbing, as the finality of their decision sank in. The dreams they had once shared, the future they had planned, now lay in ruins around them. The love they had fought so hard to save was slipping through their fingers, and there was nothing they could do to stop it.

As they finally pulled away, their eyes met, and the pain in them was almost too much to bear. Without another word, Travis turned and walked out of the nursery, his footsteps echoing through the empty house.

Taylor watched him go, her heart breaking into pieces. She turned back to Poppy, brushing her own tear from her daughter's cheek as she slept on, blissfully unaware of the storm raging around her.

Taylor stood in the nursery for a few moments longer, listening to the fading sound of Travis's footsteps. The house, once filled with laughter and love, now felt like a tomb echoing with the remnants of their shattered dreams. She gently stroked Poppy's hair, the rhythmic rise and fall of her daughter's breathing providing a small comfort amidst the chaos.

She knew she couldn't stay in the nursery forever. Taking a deep breath, she walked out of the room and down the hall to the master bedroom. The sight that greeted her stopped her in her tracks. Travis was lazily packing his belongings into a suitcase, each item a reminder of their life together.

"You're really leaving," she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

Travis looked up, his eyes filled with a mixture of sorrow and determination. "We both knew this was coming, Taylor. It's what's best for us... for Poppy."

Taylor walked over to the dresser, running her fingers over the framed photos of their wedding day, vacations, and the day Poppy was born, she flipped them, photo side down after each one she touched. Each image seemed to mock her now, a painful reminder of what they had lost.

Travis zipped up his suitcase and stood there, his shoulders slumped in defeat. "I don't want to go," he admitted, his voice breaking. "But staying here, pretending everything is fine, it's killing us."

Taylor nodded, tears streaming down her face. "I know. I just... I thought we could fix it."

He stepped closer, reaching out to gently wipe away her tears. "I wish we could. But maybe some distance will help us find a way back to each other."

She leaned into his touch, savoring the warmth and familiarity one last time. "Maybe," she whispered, though she wasn't sure she believed it.

Travis cupped her face in his hands, his eyes searching hers for a long moment. Then, slowly, he leaned in and pressed his lips to hers in a gentle, lingering kiss. It was a kiss filled with all the love, regret, and hope they had left. When they finally pulled away, both of them were once again crying.

"I'll always love you, Taylor," Travis said, his voice raw with emotion. "And I'll always be here for Poppy."

"I know," she replied, her voice trembling. "I love you too, Travis."

He picked up his suitcase and walked to the door, pausing to look back at her one last time. "Goodbye, Taylor."

"Goodbye, Travis," she whispered, watching as he turned and walked out of the bedroom, out of their home, and out of their life together.

Taylor stood there for a long time, the silence of the house pressing in on her. She felt as if her heart had been torn in two, the pain almost too much to bear. Finally, she walked over to the bed and sat down, burying her face in her hands as she sobbed.

The dreams they had once shared, the future they had planned, now lay in ruins around them. The love they had fought so hard to save was gone, leaving behind only the echoes of what had once been. And as Taylor sat there, she could only hope that someday, somehow, they would find a way to heal and come back together. But for now, all she could do was grieve for the life they had lost.

-

new book !!! i hope you enjoy <3

first chapter will be out asap:)