CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

DELANCEY

I searched for a partner, for someone to beat, and then I found him.

My blood boiled and I gritted my teeth. I ran up to him, landing a punch right in his face. "How dare you!" I yell.

"I'm sorry," Eustace begs, grabbing my wrists. I break free, not wanting to talk, but to fight. I throw another punch at him, this time in the gut. He grunts and tries to touch me again, but I don't let him. I raise my hand to slap him, and he falls to the ground. I fall onto his level just to pin him down with my knees and bash his skull in with just my fists.

"Delancey, please!" Eustace yells between my punches. "I'm sorry!" He sits up and sends me flying into the wall. My back aches from the impact and I slide onto the ground. Eustace crawls onto my chest and holds my arms down with his knees. I can feel the blood retreating from my fingertips and it's dizzying.

"I'm going to pretend to hit you to protect both of us. At least listen to me," he instructs.

"Piss off!" I squirm under his weight. His fist flies straight by my face and into the concrete beside my ear. I decide to listen.

"They threatened to kill me. They said that if I went to the police, they'd kill me on the way there." Another punch lands beside my head. "They promised not to kill you if I listened to them." Punch. "I had to do it. For you and for me." Punch.

"You didn't have to do anything. You could have at least told me. Instead you watched them beat me up and ruin my brand new dress." I'm still trying to break my arms out of his weight.

"Why do you care so much about the dress when there are so many humongous things to care about?" Punch.

"I don't care about the dress! Not anymore!" My arms are almost free. I can feel the blood coursing back through to my fingers.

"Delancey, would you go out with me after this?" Eustace mumbles.

"What?" I heard what he said, but I didn't want to.

"Will you go out with me?!" he yells.

A gunshot rings as he asks. We snap our necks in the direction of the sound, but my eyes take a while to adjust.

I searched for a sign of panic. A sign of injury. A sign.

And then I saw her.