18) Seeking Advice

Jamie unlocked his apartment door and stepped inside, his footsteps echoing in the quiet space. The silence felt oppressive, a stark contrast to the laughter and conversation that had filled the weekend.

He dropped his keys on the counter and slumped onto the couch, burying his face in his hands. The image of Alex's hesitant eyes haunted him, replaying over and over in his mind. As he leaned back against the couch, the weight of his worries settled heavily on his shoulders, making the room feel colder and more empty than ever.

He needed to talk to someone, and there was only one person in town he felt comfortable confiding in: Emily.

Jamie decided to visit the café where Emily worked. The thought of her friendly smile and warm demeanor provided a small comfort. He grabbed his jacket and headed out the door, hoping she would have the wisdom he needed to hear.

The bell above the café door chimed as Jamie entered, the familiar aroma of coffee and freshly baked pastries greeting him. Emily was behind the counter, as usual, and her eyes lit up as she saw him.

"Jamie! It's good to see you," she called out, her voice cheerful. "What brings you here today?"

Jamie forced a smile, trying to keep his tone light. "Hey, Emily. I needed a break and thought I'd come by for some coffee. Got a minute to chat?"

Emily looked around the busy café, a hint of regret in her eyes. "I'd love to, Jamie, but it's a bit hectic right now. Maybe later?"

Disappointment washed over him, but he nodded understandingly. "Sure, no problem."

As she prepared his cappuccino, Jamie glanced around the café and spotted Mark sitting alone at a table. After his drink was prepared and he had paid, Jamie took a risk, and approached Mark. "Hey, Mark. Do you mind if I join you?"

Mark looked up, a smile spreading across his face. "Not at all, Jamie. Please, have a seat."

Jamie sat down, feeling a bit awkward. "Thanks. I just needed to talk to someone, and Emily is swamped."

Mark's eyes sparkled with curiosity. "Of course. What's on your mind?"

Jamie took a deep breath, the warmth of the café easing his nerves slightly. "It's about Alex."

"Boy troubles? I've been there. What happened?" Mark said, then took a sip from his mug.

Jamie shrugged, not sure how much to say, but also needing to get everything off of his chest. "We had a great weekend, but something feels off. I–I told him I loved him, and he seemed... hesitant. Now I'm worried that maybe I said it too soon or scared him off."

Mark listened intently, his expression thoughtful. "Relationships can be tricky, especially in the beginning. It sounds like you two are still figuring things out."

Jamie nodded, his fingers tracing the edge of his cup. "Yeah, I just don't want to push him away. He means a lot to me."

Mark leaned in, his demeanor genuinely supportive. "Jamie, from what I've seen, it's clear that Alex cares about you too. Sometimes people need time to process their feelings, especially if they've been hurt before."

Jamie's thoughts drifted back to their conversation about Alex's past relationship. He wondered if that was part of the reason for Alex's hesitation. "I guess I'm just afraid that his past might be holding him back. I don't know how to help him if he doesn't open up."

Mark gave him a sympathetic smile. "Healing from past wounds takes time. The best thing you can do is be patient and supportive. Let Alex know that you're there for him, no matter what."

Jamie's heart ached with a mix of love and worry. "I want to be there for him, but what if he never feels ready?"

Mark shook his head gently. "You can't force someone to be ready, Jamie. All you can do is show him that you love him and give him the space to come to his own conclusions. If it's meant to be, it will be."

Jamie sighed, feeling a bit more at ease with Mark's advice. "You're right. I just need to give him time."

Mark smiled warmly and reached out to pat Jamie's hand. "Exactly. And remember, relationships are about growing together. It's a journey, not a race."

Jamie felt a sense of relief wash over him. Talking to Mark had helped him gain some perspective. "Thanks, Mark. I really needed to hear that."

"Anytime, Jamie," he said, his eyes twinkling with kindness. "You two are good for each other. Just keep communicating and being honest about your feelings. It'll work out."

Jamie finished his coffee, feeling a renewed sense of determination. He would give Alex the time and space he needed, while also showing him that his love was unwavering. He thanked Mark again and left the café, the weight on his shoulders feeling a little lighter.

As he drove back to his apartment, Jamie thought about how he could reassure Alex without overwhelming him. He decided to write a heartfelt letter, expressing his feelings and his willingness to be patient. It would give Alex the time to process without the pressure of an immediate response.

That evening, Jamie sat at his desk, pouring his heart into the letter. He wrote about how much Alex meant to him, how he valued their relationship, and how he was willing to wait for as long as it took for Alex to feel comfortable. He ended the letter with a simple reminder that he loved Alex, no matter what.

He sealed the envelope and placed it on his kitchen counter, feeling a sense of calm settle over him. Jamie knew that their journey together might have its challenges, but he was ready to face them with patience and love.

The next day, he planned to give the letter to Alex, hoping it would provide the reassurance and space Alex needed. He was a special guy, and Jamie didn't want to lose him.

---------------

Thank you for reading!

Please remember to vote <3