Chapter 18

Ryia 

One week later, I find myself sitting in Bodhi's room, engrossed in an assignment.

"Ryia, you've been on that question for 10 minutes," Bodhi remarks with a chuckle.

"Ugh, it's so boring. I can't stand history," I sigh, shooting Bodhi a playful glare.

"Do five more questions, and then we'll call it a night," he suggests, a teasing smile playing on his lips.

"Fine," I concede, pushing through the last few questions.

After completing the task, I stretch and walk over to the bed, flopping down dramatically. Bodhi looks over and grins mischievously.

"Join me?" I ask with a playful raise of my eyebrow.

"Always," he replies warmly, crossing the room to lie beside me, pulling me into his arms.

I gaze up at Bodhi, feeling a rush of desire that leaves me breathless. His eyes are dark with longing, mirroring the fiery intensity within me. Without a word, he leans closer, his lips brushing against mine in a tender caress.

But the tenderness swiftly gives way to a fierce hunger as our kiss deepens with a passion that borders on desperation. His hands explore my body, sending shivers of electricity through me. I respond eagerly, tangling my fingers in his hair, pulling him closer, needing more of him.

The air crackles with desire as our lips move urgently against each other, each kiss a testament to our shared need. His kisses trail down my neck, igniting my skin, while his hands map every curve, leaving me trembling with anticipation.

I arch into him, craving his touch, his closeness. Every touch, every whispered word fans the flames of desire that threaten to consume us both. The world fades away, leaving only the heat of our bodies melded together, our breaths mingling in a symphony of longing. Bodhi releases the kiss, his gaze intense as he looks down at me.

The rest of the night is a blur of tangled limbs and whispered promises.

The next morning, I wake up in Bodhi's arms.

"Bodhi, walk me to breakfast?" I request softly, smiling up at him.

"Always," he answers tenderly, his smile mirroring my own. "But tonight, I won't be here."

Surprised, I ask, "Where are you going?"

"Just somewhere with Xaden," he replies cryptically.

"And where would that be?" I press, curiosity getting the better of me.

"That's something you can't know," he says, his expression teasing yet sincere, leaving me with a mixture of anticipation and a slight frown.

***

That night, I watched as Bodhi carried a full rucksack down to the flight field. I quickly followed, staying in the shadows. In my mind, I sensed a powerful signet nearby. Xaden was close; his shadow invaded my thoughts. I pulled on his shadows, enveloping myself so I wouldn't be seen, and continued to follow Bodhi and Xaden.

"So, boys, where are we going?" I asked, stepping out of the shadows. Xaden reacted swiftly, raising his arms defensively as if ready to strike whoever approached. When he saw it was me, he lowered his hands.

"What the fuck, Ryia," Xaden exclaimed.

"I want to join your little adventure," I insisted.

"No," Xaden responded firmly, continuing to walk.

"Come on, just let me come," I pleaded, running to catch up with them. I looked to Bodhi with pleading eyes. "And when we're flying, we can work on the changes."

Bodhi glanced at Xaden, silently asking for help.

"You can't even control your signet yet," Xaden pointed out.

"Oh, yeah? Want to bet I know a lot more than you think?" I challenged. I manipulated the shadows around us, wrapping them around Xaden's legs. Xaden countered by pulling out his own shadows, pushing mine away.

"See? I can control it just fine," I said, flashing a cocky smile. "I can sense any signet on this flight field. Don't you think I can handle myself just fine?" Xaden's face lights up with worry.

"Fine, you can come, but you stay on your dragon," Xaden relented, looking down at me.

We walked over to the flight field where all three dragons were waiting. I headed towards Z, mounting up. As we took off, I stood up slowly, walking over Z's shoulder and bending my knees. I saw Xaden staring at me with wide eyes.

"Ryia, what the fuck are you doing? Sit in your seat!" Xaden yelled over the wind.

"Ready, Z?" I asked. Z flipped over, letting me fall. I embraced the rush, passing Xaden as I fell and landing on Cuir's back. I stood back up, walking over to Bodhi. I kissed him on the top of his head and jumped off. Z was already beneath Cuir, making for an easy landing. I looked over at Xaden, who shook his head. I faked a salute and kept flying.

After a three-hour flight, we landed somewhere unfamiliar. I started to dismount.

"What do you think you're doing?" Bodhi asked.

"Getting down," I replied.

"What happened to staying on your dragon?"

"Not very fun," I said as I jumped off Z's back. Once on the ground, I walked over to stand beside Bodhi. "Care to tell me why we're here?" I asked.

"You'll see," Bodhi whispered in my ear.

Then, five griffin flyers emerged from the trees, clad in brown flight leathers. I held my ground, not letting on that I didn't understand what was happening.

"Did you bring it?" one of the flyers asked.

"Yes," Xaden replied, tossing down a heavy pack that landed with a thud. "It's smaller this time. We'll try for more daggers next time."

One flyer stepped forward, picking up the bag and securing it to their pack. "And who's this?" the apparent leader asked, noticing me.

"Ryia," I said flatly.

Their faces lit up as they pieced together who I was. My smile widened.

"You brought a Melgren here? She can't be trusted," one of them objected firmly, leading others to join in arguing about why I shouldn't be there.

They didn't even know what I went through for them when I was only twelve years old – a child who should have had a normal childhood instead of being trapped in a room, tormented by her own father.

"Ryia, I can feel you trying to control your power before you kill them all," Z said in my head. I quickly built my mental walls, blocking him out. Bodhi looked at me, clearly understanding.

I stepped out of Bodhi's embrace, letting shadows swirl around me. "Are you afraid I'll run to daddy and tell?" I taunted, taking a step forward. "Do you wonder why Xaden trusts me? You don't even know what I've done to help your cause. Do you know what it feels like to be beaten nearly to death, wanting only to die but being forced to live?"

Confusion clouded their faces, not comprehending.

"Shall I show you my rebellion relic?" I challenged.

There was a collective gasp. "Oh, didn't you know? How sad," I remarked, walking back in line with Bodhi, holding his arm.

After about five more minutes of discussing the next drop-off or whatever they were planning, we walked back to our dragons. Then, I felt it – power clawing at my neck and chest, desperate to break free. My skin felt like it was on fire, as if it might melt away. I let go of Bodhi's hand, knowing Cuir had started channeling. I looked to Bodhi, who was experiencing the same sensation from Z. Xaden rushed over to see what was happening.

"They're channeling," I managed to say before collapsing to the ground. My hand clutched at my neck, seeking relief. I crawled under Cuir's claw, finding shelter until the pain subsided.

When I finally stood up, I thanked Cuir. "Thank you for trusting me with your power," I said.

"Ride me back," Cuir offered. I ran up her foreleg and settled into her seat. The flight back to Basight was long but peaceful; I was able to bond with Cuir, talking for most of the ride.