Chapter 3: Things Change

"If that's what you want." Her serious tone sent chills down my spine.

We got off at Fajardo street and walked to the nearest coffee shop. The silence is killing me.

"So.. how has life been?" I said, desperate.

"Good."

"Good?"

The security guard then greeted us with a warm smile, I bowed a little and let Airah walk in first. Even though she tried not to show it, I saw her eyes lit up. This must be her favorite place still.

Flashback

*Text message*

Airah sent a picture

Airah: This looks EXACTLY like you.

Maia: ??

Airah: Babiii can we pleaseeeeeeee go to Coffevie? Please?

Maia: Again?

Airah: Yes!! Iced Americano, like always.

Maia: Haha sure, anything for my babi.

End of flashback

"Two Iced Americanos please."

"Oh, I'll have the Caramel Cheesecake Frappe instead, please."

"Sorry.. habit... should've asked you first," I said, embarrassed.

"It's okay."

As if things couldn't get worse for me, I accidentally slipped over the wet floor (completely ignoring the caution sign because, with my ego, I thought it was no match for me) and my coffee (specifically) fell perfectly on top of my head.

My cheeks burned with embarrassment as the coffee drenched my hair and clothes. It was cold, thank God it was cold.

I turned to look back at Airah, expecting she'd laugh or pretend that she didn't know who I was... Instead, I was met with a familiar warmth.

It feels all too familiar. Her smile, the way her eyes crinkle into crescent-like shapes, the way her hair flows perfectly in the wind, the way her movements are full of grace.. Everything I didn't realize I was longing for until now.

"Maia.. are you okay?"

I shake my head as if it'll get rid of my thoughts and attempt to stand up. I was completely dumbfounded as my cheeks turned red. What just happened?

Airah.

Some things just don't change.

She's still as clumsy as ever.

If only we stayed that way.