Chapter 8: One More Chance

Maia.

I hope she doesn't know what goes on in our minds.

Looking at Charlotte made me want to make fun of her, she's like a wolf being treated like a puppy under Marg's gaze. Which, by the looks of it, Marg has been silently teasing her for the past few minutes.

Why did I agree to this? I knew I couldn't handle seeing Airah again, not here, not when she just got married, not when I clearly remember every event that unfolded the night before her wedding, and definitely not when her husband was present in the room with us.

I glance at Azeriel and see him having fun with his groomsmen. Lucky guy. I thought to myself. Aside from being Gigi's elder brother, I don't know much about Rize, he seems like a chill dude but I still think Airah deserves better than that. Like, I don't know, me? Bold of me to say that actually, I should just shut down these stupid thoughts.

The only reason why I agreed to this is because Charlotte practically begged me to. Of course, that came with a condition. When Marg catches the bouquet (and I'll make sure that she will), the both of them will reveal their relationship.

The two of them tense up as they see Airah heading back towards us. Gosh, she's beautiful. Is all I can think about. My daydreams were quickly ruined when the ring reflected under the dance floor's light, but then my heartbeat picked up when she grabbed me and dragged me to a corner near the buffet.

"What are you doing?" I say, crossing my hands.

"We need to talk." She said, out of breath.

"It's almost time for your first dance as husband and wife, Airah, what's so important?"

"You."

"What?"

"Never mind, just, please trust me?"

"We're stealing lines now?" I laughed at the desperate look on her face.

"Do you still love me?"

Oh god.

I anxiously look at our surroundings, seems like everyone is too busy being caught up in their own worlds. This should be quick.

"Maia, do you love me?" She repeats, voice growing more frantic by the second.

"Yes, yes I do." I sigh, surrendering myself and my self-respect.

" That's all I needed to know. "

She quickly kisses my cheek and disappears into the crowd and I just stand there, all flustered and confused.

"What was that?" I flinched from hearing the voice approaching me.

Shit, we're doomed. I thought to myself.

"Oh, Jane!! Haha, we were just you know, talking.."

"..didn't know 'talking' needs a smooch on the cheek nowadays?"

I quietly observe Jane from head to toe. She's wearing a spaghetti-strapped dress that's a bit different from the one she had on earlier. I can tell she got it for cheap, no, I know she did.

Jane's my ex-girlfriend, which is probably the reason why Shay and Marg hate her so much– or maybe it's because she can be a bit extra sometimes. I bet they think she was trying to outshine Airah, but if we're being real, nobody can outshine her. She's just too perfect , always has been, always will be. Plus, Jane likes Shay. She comes to Gigi and me all the time for advice and miserably fails every single time. Maybe if she was just herself, her true, authentic self, Shay would take a glance at her.

I dissociated again.

"Hello? Too drunk in love? You're pathetic."

"Please don't tell anyone."

"I wouldn't even have anyone to tell that to and news flash, Gigi already knows everything."

If I wasn't nervous then, I am now.

"What? How?" I say, shaking a little.

"What did you expect? She's Airah's childhood friend... And I may or may not have overheard her talking to my angel, Shafiya Shay Capili."

"Ew, get rid of those heart eyes, please."

"Not until I make her mine," Jane said as she clinked our glasses.

Then, I hear footsteps running towards me.

"I caught the bouquet!!" Charlotte tells me, with a big, proud smile on her face.

Moments later, I regret not being able to capture such an endearing moment. The way her eyes light up, the way she nervously holds Marg's hands as they speak.. and the way her jaw drops in shock when she hears the news. I know I'm supposed to be talking about Charlotte proposing, trust me, I'm surprised too, but all my pathetic ass can do is be engulfed by the sight of my beloved. I want her, and I want her now.

Sure, it's selfish... it's risky, it could do more harm to the both of us than good, but damn have you ever been so in love to the point that it drives you to insanity? I don't know if that's a good thing actually... One thing's for sure though, this is my chance, and I'm not letting it slip away from me again, even if the world tries to stop me.