Choose Me | 2

“Father, I cannot marry the prince.”

Yep, I am still here. I decided to talk to my father about the engagement. Baka mabago pa ang desisyon niya.

“Are you opposing my decision, Vexana Aurelithea?” He looked furious, I am too. But is trying to compose myself, for he taught me that.

“It is not that father, I am simply—”

He slammed his hands on his worktable, I got startled.

“I will not take my words back. You are to marry the prince.” His sharp gaze pierced my soul, I avoided his gaze.

I lowered my head and accepted my defeat. “Yes, father.”

I bowed down and left his office, I went straight to my chamber.

“My lady! Are you alright?” I looked up to my maid. Perie, she looks very concerned.

I heaved a sigh. “I am set to marry the prince.”

Napalitan nang ngiti ang nagaalalang mukha nito. What is she happy about?

“That’s great news, my lady! I am happy for you.” Her warm smile brought sadness in my heart. Even she, doesn't understand.

“I do not like the prince, Perie.”

Her expression changed again. “My lady, what are you saying? Every woman in our country is very eager to know the prince.”

I weakly smiled at her. “I am not like them. I like someone else, perie.”

She looked stunned. Bakit parang gulat na gulat siya? Of course I like someone else, I haven't even met the prince. In this life, of course.

“My lady, who is this man you're talking about?” She asked, I smiled at her.

“That— I cannot tell.”

“Is it a knight?! A commoner perhaps?!” I shook my head giggling, she's over reacting.

“Just who is this man, my lady?” She curiously asked. I shrugged.

“I won’t tell you. But one thing for sure, you know him.”

She gasped.

“But Perie, do you also believe that I cannot marry someone I do not love?” I asked her.

She nodded, agreeing with me. “Of course, my lady. You are to choose who to marry, it is your marriage anyway.”

It is. But how could I tell my father that? I am scared. For what? I am dying.

“But my lady, you've already met the prince. Twice.” Ano?! Really? In this life?

“What do you mean? Kailan?”

She explained everything to me. “Well, you've met him at a banquet once. And then, at the palace.”

I did? How come I don’t remember?

“Maybe you chose to forget, my lady. You tend to do that, when you think its very unnecessary to remember it.” She sighed.

I am not like that! Or, am I?

“Whatever. How can I run away?” I sighed.

“And get killed? No way, my lady.” I looked at perie once again, she's right. My father will definitely kill me.

But its better right? Than having to marry someone you don't even love.

You’ll eventually have feelings for him.’

I suddenly remembered what my brother told me this morning. I opposed on this since morning.

“Have feelings for him, my ass.”

“My lady, watch your words. You do not want to be punished by the young lord again, do you?” I sighed. Isa pa ’yan. Do I even belong to this family..?

We both looked at the door, when we heard a knock.

“Lady Vexana, It is I, Foyroid. the marquess is requesting to see you. A guest had just arrived at the mansion.”

A guest? Who could it be?

“Stand up, my lady. Let us get you ready.” I stood up, and let perie do what she normally does to me. After that, we both exited my chamber.

Foyroid was still outside, waiting to guide me to the marquess—my father.

“Who is the guest?” I asked foyroid.

“It is the prince, my lady.”

"The who?”

“The prince, he's here to formally talk about the engagement.” Foyroid smiled at me.

Engagement?! Kaka-alam ko lang kanina, at ngayon ay nandito na ang prinsipe na ’yon?! How come? Oh, they planned this beforehand.

“Just when did they planned this?” I weakly laughed.

“You’ll be alright, my lady.” Even foyroid is encouraging me.

“I will not. I know.” I smiled weakly at the both of them, they exchanged glances.

We stopped walking as we reached the guest room.

“Lady Vexana Aurelithea is entering” I sighed before entering the room.

I curtsy.

"Greetings to the Royal Highness, Crown Prince Zurich Illinois Schrodinger of the Schrodinger Empire. I am Vexana Aurelithea, Your Highness.” I looked up to see my father and the prince.

Is he the crown prince..? Huh, kaya pala hindi ko maalala. He's the guy who pushed me into the fountain, for ‘hurting’ his beloved or something. Tch, am I forgetting the past?

“At last, we met. Lady Vexana.” The prince, I smiled forcefully.

Umupo ako sa harap nang prinsipeng taga-pagmana. He looks good, but not so gentlemanly. Ang kapal nang mukha nitong itulak ako sa fountain.

“Father. What is the prince doing here?” I respectfully looked at my father.

He forcefully smiled at me, and then looked at the prince.

“We are here to talk about your engagement with the prince.”

Umakto akong nagulat.

“Engagement? What do you mean, father?”

“It looks like the lady doesn't know. I am your soon to be fiance.” I looked over the prince, tch.

“Pardon? I'm sorry, I don't seem to understand.”

“You are to marry me. To be the crown princess of the empire.” I nearly scoffed as he never changed his expression.

Crown princess? No thanks.

“I am very sorry.. I think I need time to process such information. Your Highness.”

Hindi naman siya nagsalita. Tumingin lang siya sa'kin at sa marquess. My father smiled and looked at me. He's threatening me with his looks.

“Vexana. You are the soon to be crown princess, you don’t need to think about it.” My father said.

I looked at the prince and then my own father. I'm defeated. Once again.

“Yes, father.”

Yumuko nalang ako habang nag patuloy sila sa paguusap about the empire.

“Father.. I am kind of tired. May I excuse myself?”

“Leave.”

“Your Highness. I shall take my leave now, I apologize for I cannot accommodate you.” I curtsy and then left the room. I knees became weak as soon as the door closed, Perie was outside waiting for me.

“My lady!” She helped me stand up. I held onto her.

“I want to rest, Perie.” She nodded and helped me get to my chamber.

I always wanted to rest. So, why can’t I?

————————————————