CHAPTER 9

At this moment, Pon’s only thought was 'where did this obedient child come from?'

Director Pon was not an extremely rich man, but he was still a young entrepreneur.

Asking for money or material objects, even if this request would invoke feelings in the future, was still far more valuable than a few ordinary meals.

Did Sailub become an idiot from the barbecue smoke?

How come he didn’t even understand something as simple as this?

Pon took a deep breath. “Are you serious? Don’t joke around, think about it some more.”

Sailub asked back, “Is this an unreasonable request?”

Pon was tongue-tied.

Sailub continued, “Then why won’t you agree to it?”

Pon wasn’t sure whether to call him naive or stupid.

Everyone was watching the two of them. Topten poked him from under the table to remind him to stop staring off into the distance. At the same time, he said out loud, “Why are you hesitating over such a small thing? Our Director Pon isn’t a sore loser! Isn’t it just a few meals? If he doesn’t agree, I’ll agree for him!”

The group roared in laughter.

Pon glanced at Sailub and found that he was still calmly looking back at him.

His body language was full of a silent stubbornness. In order to end this scene, he could only promise, “Okay. As long as you don’t mind.”

Only then was Sailub satisfied.

A new game began after this, but neither of the two had any interest in playing anymore.

Pon purposely lost the round. When he turned around, he found Sailub, who had lost much earlier, leisurely leaning against his chair and staring up at the heavenly river of stars spreading across the sky.

He felt like he should say something to him, but he didn’t know what to say. As he hesitated, Topten quietly tapped him and murmured, “What happened between the two of you? Why does it feel kind of uncomfortable?”

Pon denied it. “Nothing happened.”

Topten questioned, “Then what were the two of you doing behind our backs this morning?”

Pon didn’t even lift his eyes. “As you saw,
Fight the Landlord.”

Topten uttered an unconvinced sound. “That’s not right. Auntie, what can’t you tell me?”

Pon waved him away. “When the adults are talking, the kids shouldn’t listen.”

Topten, “Leave some face for yourself. Just because I called you aunt you think you’re now a senior?”

Pon couldn’t fool him and could only say, “I’ll chat with you on WeChat later tonight. Go play your card games.”

Topten’s gossipy soul was satisfied and he departed triumphantly.

The courtyard was continuously full of laughter until the moon rose high up in the sky.

In the deep of the night, Pon couldn’t bear the smell of smoke on him anymore and went back to his room.

The gathering dispersed accordingly.

The walls between rooms were not very soundproof, when Sailub went upstairs, he could hear the faint sound of water through the walls as he stood in the corridor.

Pon was probably still taking a shower. As he was about to unlock the door to his own room, the sound of water stopped.

A moment later, a startled 'Fuck!’ sounded from the room next door.