Into Bleak Falls: part 1

While they searched the outside of the door, Aeyrie tried various methods to open it but found no obvious way. Just as she was about to give up, she caught a glimpse of a faint glow emanating from the left side of the double doors. Aeyrie did a double take and saw that the glow was coming from strange runes carved into the door.

"Hey! I think I found something!" Aeyrie called loudly to the others.

"What is it, Aeyrie?" Loche asked, approaching her.

Aeyrie put her hand against the door and said, "These runes are glowing."

Loche looked at her, puzzled. "What? No, they're not."

Aeyrie looked back at him, equally confused. "But they are."

Jenassa chimed in, "If that's the case, why can only Aeyrie see it?"

Uthgerd stepped closer and asked, "Can you read them?"

Aeyrie focused on the runes and, to her surprise, found that she could indeed understand them. "Aal daar qoth bex voth naan vey. May this tomb open with any cut," she read aloud.

"How do you know what it says? Mother never taught us runes like this," Loche asked in shock.

"I don't know," Aeyrie answered, "but I know what it means." She turned to Jenassa and Uthgerd. "Do either of you have a dagger I could borrow?"

Uthgerd pulled a dagger out of a sheath at her waist. "Use mine, though may I ask what you need it for?"

Aeyrie took the blade and sliced open her palm.

"Aeyrie! What the fuck!" Loche scolded.

"Loche, it's fine. Trust me," Aeyrie said, walking closer to the door's center until she found a keyhole. Aeyrie smeared her blood into the lock and, for good measure, around it. There was a faint glow from the door and a loud click. Aeyrie pushed on the door, and it finally gave way.

The door creaked open, revealing a dark, ancient passage beyond. The air was thick with the scent of earth and old stone, and a chill seemed to emanate from within. Aeyrie and Loche exchanged a glance, then stepped inside, followed closely by Jenassa and Uthgerd.

Inside, the passage was dimly lit by the flickering light from the entrance. The walls were covered in more runes and carvings, telling tales of long-forgotten heroes and battles. Cobwebs hung from the ceiling, and the floor was littered with debris from the ages.

"Stay close," Aeyrie whispered, drawing her sword. The others followed suit, their weapons at the ready.

Aeyrie felt someone grab her hand and pull her back. "You cannot venture into a vile place like this with an open wound," Jenassa whispered. The dark elf rummaged through a pouch at her hip, pulled out a healing potion, unstopped the bottle, and poured several drops onto Aeyrie's palm. It stung, but within seconds the cut had healed, leaving only a dry patch of skin resembling where a scab had flaked off. Jenassa corked the potion and returned it to her bag. "There, we may continue now."

"Thank you, Jenassa," Aeyrie said, before readying her bow and notching a new arrow. The adventurers pressed on. The narrow entrance hall gave way to a vast open chamber. The entire left side had caved in on itself, but the stone pillars seemed stable if they kept to the right side. Aeyrie motioned for the others to follow and led them to the far wall. As they walked, Aeyrie saw a body slumped against a stone table. She looked back at Uthgerd and Jenassa and whispered, "Your doing?"

Uthgerd nodded. "Aye, one of the bandits we wounded before they retreated."

Aeyrie turned her attention back to the path ahead and could just see a flickering light coming from up ahead. She listened and heard a groan. "Damnit woman, that hurts!" a voice said in pain and annoyance.