CHAPTER 22

The day of the match between Top Volley Latina and Sir Safety Conad Perugia arrived with a mix of excitement and nervous energy. For Yuki, it was another opportunity to prove himself on the court. For Aika, it marked her debut as an intern sports journalist at Il Messaggero.

Aika arrived at the PalaBianchini arena early, her press badge hanging around her neck, a notebook clutched tightly in her hand. She found her assigned seat in the press area, setting up her laptop and reviewing her notes on both teams.

As she settled in, a veteran journalist from another publication leaned over. "First time covering a SuperLega match?" he asked with a friendly smile.

Aika nodded, trying to hide her nervousness. "Is it that obvious?"

The journalist chuckled. "We were all new once. Just remember, the story isn't just in the scoreboard. It's in the players' eyes, the coach's gestures, the tension in the crowd. Capture that, and you'll do fine."

Aika smiled gratefully, feeling a bit more at ease. "Thank you. I'll keep that in mind."

As the players began to warm up on the court, Aika's eyes were inevitably drawn to Yuki. He moved with a fluid grace, his jumps powerful and precise. She forced herself to look away, reminding herself that she was here as a professional.

Aika's POV

Focus, Aika. You're here as a journalist. Observe everything. The way the teams interact during warm-up, the energy in the arena, the strategies unfolding on the court. This is your chance to prove yourself.

But it's hard not to watch Yuki. He's changed so much, yet in some ways, he's exactly the same. That determined look in his eyes, the way he encourages his teammates... it's all so familiar. But I can't dwell on the past. I have a job to do, and I'm going to do it well.

The starting lineups were announced, and Aika's heart skipped a beat when she heard Yuki's name called. He had earned his place as a starter once again, a testament to his growing prowess on the court.

For Top Volley Latina, the starting six were: Gitto, Sottile, Ishikawa, Rossi, Fei, and Maruotti. Fanuli served as the team's libero.

Sir Safety Conad Perugia's lineup was equally impressive: Zaytsev, Podrascanin, Atanasijevic, Russell, Birarelli, and De Cecco. Tosi is their libero.

The match began with intense rallies, both teams showcasing their skills. Perugia, as the stronger team on paper, took an early lead, ending the first set with 18-25. This continued in the second set with Perugia clinching it 17-25. However, Latina fought back valiantly, with the team making several impressive spikes and blocks, forcing an extended set and clinching it 27-25.

Aika found herself furiously scribbling notes, trying to capture not just the technical aspects of the game, but the emotions and dynamics on the court. She noted how Yuki seemed to grow more confident with each play, his movements becoming sharper, more precise.

Despite Latina's best efforts, Perugia's experience and skill proved too much. The match ended with a 3-1 victory for Perugia (18-25, 17-25, 27-25, 23-25). Yuki had played well, scoring 8 points overall, including some crucial floor defense and serves.

As the teams shook hands and the crowd began to disperse, Aika remained in her seat, organizing her notes and beginning to frame her article in her mind. She knew she needed quotes from the players, particularly from Gabriele Maruotti, who had been the top scorer for Latina, and Yuki, who had shown impressive floor defense throughout the match.