[ 021 ] absence

chapter twenty-one
absence

Alyssa stares down blankly at her children, the never ending mill of numbness churning in her mind. Mayhaps, if she feels nothing toward them, when they meet their inevitable end, she will not descend further into madness. There was an absence of love suddenly, it happened so quick, faster than she could blink her eyes and now, there was nothing when she stared. Mayhaps she's a bad mother for not feeling nought, that's likely the most explainable answer. She's an awful person. Awful Alyssa has a nice ring to it. Much nicer than Alyssa the Saint. 

The Princess gritted her teeth and turned away, crossing the room to their eggs nesting safely in the fire. Absentmindedly she reaches down and pulls one from the fire, "Princess!" A maid calls, startling Lisi, even more so when the egg is snatched and tossed into their warming crate as carefully as possible whilst her palms sizzle and the skin melts away. With only fear, the maid turns Lisi's palms over to find them unharmed by the heat. Alyssa's brows dip, taking the maids hands into her own, her skin is permanently made into the shape of the egg, "Princess, you must be careful, you could injure yourself."

"I am fine, Malissa." She shakes her head, "You're dismissed, find the maester and get him to heal you. I'll call for Elinda." Malissa bows her head, profusely thanking the Princess before scurrying away, hissing in pain. 

Markus steps in after the door opens, "Princess, you're required at the Small Council." 

Alyssa nods, not thinking twice about her sleeping children as she leaves, calling for Elinda leaving her mind in the moment. The walk to the Painted Table room was short, she arrived just after Rhaenyra did, "Princess Alyssa of House Targaryen, Hand to the Queen and Princess of Dragonstone." Her title ricocheted off the walls, as Lisi took her seat beside her mother. 

Jace stood at the foot of the table, hands rested on the pommel of his sword, the one he got on sixteenth nameday. Alyssa cleared her throat, sat tall with her chin held parallel to the ground. Jacaerys' eyes flicked to his wife. Her black and red dress complimented her fair skin and silver hair that was in a simple style today, a gentle braid in a half-up-half-down style. Her mismatched eyes glinted in the shafts of light coming from the windows surrounding them. Jace would be a fool if he couldn't admit his attraction to her. As the Small Council commences, chatter is heard between them, Rhaenyra holds her tongue and so does Lisi as the Lords talk together.

Rhaenys arrives a few moments later, "No sightings." She announced, "No men, no horses, no ships." She sighed, taking her seat beside Alyssa, "No dragons."

"Good. Then we must seize the hour and act before our enemy does." Ser Alfred nods. "They have penetrated our castle walls, and now the Riverlands are aflame after the Battle at the Burning Mill. How fares Prince Daemon with our army?"

Nyra looks at Maester Gerardys, "There has been no word from Prince Daemon, Your Grace."

"Then we must press what advantage we do have." Alfred insisted.

"And what is that?" 

"Dragons." Alyssa scoffed lightly beneath her breath, dropping her head and looking at her lap, "Send them all out. Start turning Green strongholds to our cause and burn those who resist." The Hand bites on her bottom lip, of course someone who is not a dragon rider would say such absurdities. She sighed, glancing at her mother who just made an exasperated expression.