[ 030 ] beginning of the end

chapter thirty
beginning of the end

"Why did you not say anything?" Rhaenyra asked, stepping away from the hug she'd shared with Alyssa. The Princess shook her head lightly, stuttering on a reply, struggling to explain why she left so abruptly, "I would say come back to Dragonstone, we need you, but... we need you here more. I clearly underestimated you." The mother smiled, brushing her hand over her daughter's face, tracing her gentle features with her eyes, "I am so proud of you, little dragon, you've accomplished the impossible in such a short period of time."

Lisi nodded, her brows raising in hope, "How... How is Jace and Laenyra? Are they alright without me? Will they be okay if I stay here?" Fear twinkles in her mismatched eyes.

"They are fine." Nyra reassures her, "Jace is rightfully worried about you. He explained to me what happened. He is restless without the knowledge of your safety, he paces the halls awaiting news on your whereabouts, he has levied verbal attacks against Ulf multiple times, he stalks the halls like some kind of angry ghost -- but when I return with the news of your sanctity and accomplishments, he will be content and hopefully calm. And Laenyra misses you, you are her mother, but she is alright and safe. They will be okay without you, darling girl, we'll all be okay without you. Just... don't be foolish with your actions, I know you are capable but... but you can overestimate yourself sometimes; confide in Daemon, he is willing to teach your hand in more weaponry and the art of battle -- he is the only father you have now, Lisi."

She nodded, dropping her head in grief at the absence of Harwin and Laenor who taught her the art of swordsmanship in her youth. Rhaenyra inhales tightly, she doesn't want to leave her daughter in the centre of a war, where she walks around with a huge target on her back. Aemond could arrive any day, Cole marches toward the castle and he'll soon join the Lannister and Hightower army where Daeron and Tessarion are. The thought of leaving her was worrisome, what if she does not return?

But Rhaenyra knows her daughter, she'll come to her senses and won't place herself in a situation that'll end in her untimely death, abandoning Jace and Laenyra. She has a family she needs to think of, and they'll come into her thoughts when she marches into battle with her army. 

"I understand, Mother. Take care of Jace and Laenyra in my absence." She asks calmly, gripping her mother's hand tightly, "I will return at some point, mayhaps we'll reunite when we take King's Landing and you sit upon that damned throne."

"Mayhaps." Rhaenyra chuckled, "Mayhaps, sweet girl." She envelopes the sixteen year old in a tight hug, gripping onto her for dear life. All she has now is Jace, Lisi has taken the path that no one expected her too, now, she prepares to fight among the men, she prepares to write her name into history well. Alyssa Velaryon will be remembered for centuries, she will become the foundation of women in the future but she could also become someone that you shouldn't let your daughter be, she'll be painted as a villain or cast aside from history altogether -- Daemon will have gathered the troops, and it'll be him who is given credit for that, not her. The fate of being a woman. 

Alyssa watched her mother leave from the doorway, squinting her eyes at Syrax and Seasmoke that flew for Dragonstone, hoping to arrive back before supper. Asera circled the immense castle, she appeared more like Balerion the Black Dread than she ever had before, protecting the troops, scouting for opposing dragons. Asera can smell the battle on the horizon, just how Lisi can. Daemon appeared at her side suddenly.