chapter 28 (reunion)

Present time (500 B.C.)

The warmth of Rhea's presence wrapped around me like a comforting blanket, but my mind was a whirlwind of emotions and confusion. Seeing my mother after so long—after believing her to be dead—was overwhelming. Tears welled up in my eyes as I struggled to process everything.

Rhea gently held my hands, her gaze full of compassion. "Aurelia, my beloved daughter, I know this is a lot to take in. I've been missing for centuries, hiding from your father, Chronos. It was the only way to protect you."

Her words were like a dagger to my heart. Protect me? By leaving me behind? "You left me," I choked out, my voice trembling with a mix of anger and sorrow. "I grew up without you, thinking you were dead."

Rhea's eyes filled with tears, and she pulled me into an embrace. "I had no choice, my dear. Chronos would have found you if I had stayed. I had to go into hiding to ensure your safety."

I pulled away from her, my mind racing. "How do I know you're really my mother? I had visions... visions of you and a little girl, but also a vision of you being murdered by Chronos."

Rhea's face paled, and she took a deep breath. "Those visions were real, but incomplete. Chronos believed he had killed me, but I managed to escape, gravely wounded. I've been in hiding ever since, healing and watching over you from afar."

Doubt gnawed at me. Could this really be true? The woman in my visions had seemed so full of life and love, and the idea of her being my mother filled me with a yearning I couldn't ignore. But the pain of her absence was still raw.

As I grappled with my emotions, the door creaked open. Athena and Ares entered the room, their expressions a mix of shock and disbelief.

"Aurelia, is this...?" Athena began, her eyes darting between Rhea and me.

"Yes," Rhea answered for me. "I am Rhea, mother of Aurelia and wife to Chronos. It's true, Athena. Aurelia is our hidden child."

The weight of her words hung in the air, and I saw the realization dawn on Athena and Ares. Their eyes widened, and they looked at me with a mixture of concern and awe.

"Seven children," Ares muttered. "No one ever knew."

The room felt suffocating, and my heart pounded in my chest. The secret I had kept hidden for so long was now out, and the weight of it was crushing me. I felt my legs buckle, and I sank to the floor, overwhelmed by the revelation.

"I can't... I can't do this," I whispered, tears streaming down my face. "I can't be the daughter of Chronos and Rhea. I don't know who I am anymore."

Rhea knelt beside me, her hands gently cupping my face. "You are my daughter, Aurelia. You are strong, brave, and destined for greatness. You have always been loved."

Her words were meant to comfort, but they only heightened my anguish. The truth of my heritage was too much to bear, and I felt like I was falling apart. I needed to escape, to find a moment of clarity away from the overwhelming emotions and revelations.

Without another word, I bolted from the room. I heard Athena and Ares calling after me, but I didn't stop. I ran through the halls, my vision blurred by tears, until I found a balcony. The cold air hit me like a slap, but it was a welcome relief from the chaos inside.

I leaned against the railing, my breaths coming in ragged gasps. The night sky stretched out before me, vast and indifferent. I felt so small, so insignificant. How could I possibly fulfill any destiny when I was falling apart?

The cold air began to numb my skin, and I welcomed the sensation. It dulled the pain in my heart, if only for a moment. I closed my eyes, letting the tears fall freely. I didn't know what to do, where to go, or how to move forward.