Harper (Updated Version)

The next day rolls by pretty quickly. 

I stay away from people, except the odd person in class who asks for some help, or at lunch when someone asks me if they could have some of my food. My classes went by pretty smoothly too. The teachers didn't look in the back at the lonely girl with bruises on her neck. 

At the end of the school day, I make the stupid mistake of going home. I don't know why I went home. Maybe it was habit? Maybe I was worried that I'd get in trouble and they would find me and 'discipline' me. 

The sad part, about arriving home, was the fact that my tree had been cut down. It was lying on its side, an ax perched against it. I felt my lip tremble. What the heck is wrong with me? It was just a stupid tree!

I walk back around to the front of the house and start to walk up on the outsides of the stairs, the least feeble part of the stairs. Then, at the door, I push it as quietly as I could and close it even softer. I let out a sigh in relief. 

"Hello, Harper," Mrs. Cox snarls. I turn. She's sitting in the living room with a perfect view of the door. She looked perfectly sober. "Come sit, dearest."

Shaking, I made my way over to her. The woman leans forward and places her elbows on the edge of her seat. 

"Got invited to the ball, did you, half-breed? By Jameson?"The woman let out a malicious laugh as she threw her head back. "Wow. He's finally stooped that low. I see that there isn't anything I can do since he's the beta, but let me make myself clear, mutt. You might be going to the ball, but you won't find a mate. No one is going to want a half human bitch," she snarled. She stood and stalked toward me. She shoved me into the wall. I hit hard enough to knock a picture frame off the wall. I let out a small whimper. 

Mrs. Cox walked back to her chair and perched herself lightly down on it. "I'd also like to remind you that I will be attending this years ball. So I'm going to lay down a few ground rules, and if you break them, I will fucking murder you." 

***

The night of the ball had finally arrived. I did my make-up with the little amount I owned. I did my hair in a cute way, but nothing that would pull attention to myself. 

'Number one, you will not do anything to pull attention to yourself.'

The doorbell rang and I squealed. Before I went to bed last night, I found a note that read, 'Don't worry, Sweatheart, I have a dress for you.' Hopefully, the dress wasn't too flashy, I really didn't want to draw too much attention to myself. 

I quietly crept down the steps, but then I remembered that Mr. Cox was in the hospital, and Mrs. Cox was buying herself a last minute dress. I flew down the stairs and flung open the door before practically flinging myself at Jameson. He used one hand to hold me and the other to push the door open. 

"Hello Sweetheart," he rumbled. "Happy to see me?" He looked at me strangely for a second, a weird emotion flitting across his features before disappearing. 

"No, silly," I giggled. He raised a brow at me. "I'm excited for my dress," I deadpanned. "Hand it over, let me see it." I held out my palm and did the 'give it here' motion. Jameson chuckled. 

He handed me a white bag that had a hanger holding it up. 

"Wow. It's pretty," I joked. I pulled the white covering off very gentle. "It's a rental? Right?"

Jameson shook his head. "No, Sweetheart, it's yours."

I gasped in delight. And shock. "You shouldn't have? What am I supposed to do with it? I'll just get it dirty. You can just take it back with you. Mrs. Cox will hate me for having it, she'll kill me."