𝙄 𝙬𝙤𝙣. - 5

...

Solace's POV, 6:23 P.M.

"You got this, Sol." YaYa said in an attempt to reassure me.

"Yeah, and either way Nelson won't let them take this from you. You're gonna win." Eileen agreed.

"Thanks, y'all. I wish I could think how y'all think." I shuddered.

"Don't think like us. Think like Solace. The girl who wants to make it to the WNBA, maybe somehow even farther." YaYa smiled.

"Right..." I looked down at my feet in an attempt to console myself.

"Solly, you ready?" Jackson asked as I adjusted myself in my seat.

I'd been so nervous about making the team, let alone impressing Nelson and Jay. I couldn't sit properly, let alone sit still.

"Yeah, Jay. This 'bout ready as I'mma get." I nodded.

I stood up and shook off the nerves before walking to the middle of the court to meet Cam and Nelson.

"A'ight, here are the rules. No playin' dirty, no flirtin', and y'all better not kiss mid-game!" Cam pointed at Nelson and me before pausing to think about the rest of the rules.

"I'd never!" Nelson feigned shock before looking over at me. "You ready, ma?"

He was smiling wider than usual. It was the smile he gave me when he was up to something, but I didn't mind it. I knew that no matter what Nels had up his sleeve, I was gonna be able to overcome it as always.

"Yeah, Nels. Now shut up so Cam can finish." I nodded as the boy rolled his eyes at me.

"It's simple. The first to 15 points wins, and I mean wins. Treat it like a real game or you will regret it. Play for keeps, play rough, play hard, and whoever don't win better cut they damn losses and keep it pushin'. Are we clear?" He looked between us once more.

"Yeah, Cam. We clear." Nelson and I smiled at the older man.

"Good luck, Nels. You gon' need it!" Jay called from the sidelines.

Nelson just nodded before getting into position.

I sized him up one more time before thinking to myself:

This was gonna be a long ass game.

...

Nelson's POV, 6:32 P.M.

I rushed over to the hoop, constantly telling myself this would be the shot that balanced us out.

Right now we were 5-4. She'd scored a 3-pointer and then an easy 2, I only got past her twice, and she'd almost knocked me off my feet each time. I tried not to worry since our skills were almost up to par. She was wearing me down, though.

As I jumped toward the hoop, I felt the ball exit my hands and fly the opposite way. Solly brushed past me and ran for my hoop, not giving me time to prepare.

"Sorry, baby!" She whisper-yelled as she ran off.

I couldn't help but smile a little at her antics.

"Damn, she ain't lettin' up!" I heard Zeddy call out. Niles was laughing as though it was the funniest thing he'd ever seen.

As I caught up to Solly, she shot the ball into the hoop. I didn't even have time to react before I heard Jay shout to Noah.

"Fix that score! 8-4, it ain't lookin' too good for Nels!"