Chapter 31

Lily pov

For the first time since I started high school, I found myself staring at a blank canvas with absolutely no idea what to do next. The pressure of the upcoming project for Ms. Thorne's class was weighing on me, and I felt stuck. My mind was a jumbled mess of ideas, none of them good enough to turn into something real.

I sighed and pushed my chair away from the desk. My room, usually a haven of creativity, felt like a prison. Art supplies were scattered everywhere—paints, brushes, sketchbooks—but none of it sparked any inspiration. I grabbed my phone and texted Mia.

**Lily**: I'm totally stuck on this project. Got any ideas?

She replied almost instantly.

**Mia**: Let's meet at the café after school. Maybe a change of scenery will help.

The bell rang, signaling the end of my last class of the day. I quickly packed up my things and headed to the café. Mia was already there, sitting at our usual table with two iced coffees.

"Hey," she said, sliding one of the coffees over to me. "What's going on?"

I took a sip and let out a frustrated sigh. "I have this huge project due for Ms. Thorne's class, and I have no idea what to do. Every idea I come up with feels boring or cliché."

Mia nodded sympathetically. "Creative blocks are the worst. Have you talked to Ms. Thorne about it?"

"Not yet. I was hoping I'd figure it out on my own, but it's been a week, and I've got nothing."

"Maybe she can give you some direction," Mia suggested. "She always has good ideas."

"Yeah, you're right. I'll talk to her tomorrow."

The next day, I approached Ms. Thorne after class. She was sorting through some papers at her desk and looked up with a warm smile when she saw me.

"Hi, Lily. What can I do for you?"

"Ms. Thorne, I'm really struggling with this project. I can't seem to come up with any good ideas."

She put down her papers and gave me her full attention. "It happens to the best of us. Sometimes, the harder we try to force an idea, the more elusive it becomes. Have you thought about taking a step back and looking at things from a different perspective?"

"I've tried, but nothing seems to work."

Ms. Thorne nodded thoughtfully. "Why don't you come by after school tomorrow? We can sit down and brainstorm together. Sometimes, it helps to talk things out with someone else."

"Okay, thanks, Ms. Thorne. I really appreciate it."

After school the next day, I made my way to the art room. Ms. Thorne was already there, setting up some supplies. She waved me over to a table covered in various art materials.

"All right, Lily. Let's start with what you've got so far. Any ideas at all?"

I shrugged. "I've thought about doing something with nature, maybe landscapes, but it feels so overdone."

"Nature is a common theme, but it's how you interpret it that makes it unique. What about nature inspires you?"

I thought for a moment. "I guess it's the way it changes and evolves. There's a kind of beauty in how it's never the same."

Ms. Thorne nodded. "That's a great start. How can you capture that idea of change and evolution in your work?"

"I don't know. Maybe I could use different materials to show the different stages of a landscape throughout the seasons?"