Chapter 35

Lily pov

When I first heard about the national art competition, I wasn't sure if I should enter. It sounded like a huge deal, and I didn't know if my art was good enough. But Mia, being Mia, encouraged me to go for it.

"Lily, you've got this," she said, her eyes sparkling with excitement. "You've been working so hard and your art is amazing. This could be a great opportunity for you."

So, I decided to give it a shot. The theme for the competition was "Unity in Diversity," which felt like a topic I could really connect with. I spent days brainstorming ideas, sketching out concepts, and thinking about how I could express such a big idea through my art. I wanted to create something that would stand out and show the judges what I was capable of.

After a lot of thought, I decided to create a piece that combined different elements from various cultures, showing how they could come together to create something beautiful. I wanted to use bright colors and intricate patterns to symbolize diversity and unity.

The next few weeks were a whirlwind of activity. I spent every spare moment working on my piece, pouring my heart and soul into it. My room was a mess of paint tubes, brushes, and sketchbooks. It was exhausting, but also exhilarating. Every brushstroke felt like it was bringing my vision to life.

Mia and I would often stay up late, talking about our ideas and supporting each other. She was working on a piece for the competition too, and it was amazing to see how different our approaches were. Her art had a more abstract feel, with bold lines and vibrant colors that seemed to dance on the canvas.

As the deadline approached, I started to feel the pressure. What if my piece wasn't good enough? What if the judges didn't like it? I tried to push those thoughts aside and focus on doing my best.

Finally, the day came to submit our entries. Mia and I carefully packed our paintings and headed to the post office. It was nerve-wracking to hand over my work, knowing it would soon be judged by professionals. But at the same time, it felt like an accomplishment just to have created something I was proud of.

The waiting was the hardest part. Weeks went by, and I tried to keep myself busy with school and other art projects. But every time I thought about the competition, my stomach did a little flip. Mia was a constant source of support, reminding me that no matter what happened, we had done something amazing just by entering.

One afternoon, while I was working on a new painting in the art room, Ms. Thorne came in with a big smile on her face. She was holding an envelope.

"Lily, I think you might want to see this," she said, handing me the envelope.

My heart raced as I opened it. Inside was a letter from the competition organizers. I quickly scanned the words, and my eyes widened in shock.

"I came in fourth place!" I exclaimed, barely able to believe it. "I actually placed!"

Mia, who had been working on her piece nearby, ran over and hugged me. "Lily, that's amazing! I knew you could do it!"

Ms. Thorne smiled warmly. "You should be very proud, Lily. This is a huge accomplishment."

I felt a mix of emotions. I was thrilled to have placed, but part of me couldn't help but wonder what it would have been like to win. But Ms. Thorne's words reminded me of something important: it wasn't just about winning. It was about the journey and what I had learned along the way.

That evening, I sat down to reflect on the experience. Entering the competition had pushed me out of my comfort zone and made me realize how much I had grown as an artist. I had learned to trust my instincts, take risks, and believe in myself. Coming in fourth place was an incredible achievement, but even more important was the confidence I had gained.

I decided to share the news with my family. My parents were thrilled and proud, and my younger siblings were excited too. We had a small celebration at home, with pizza and ice cream. It felt good to share my success with the people who had always supported me.

As the weeks went by, I continued to feel inspired by the experience. I started working on new projects, experimenting with different techniques and styles. The competition had shown me that I had something unique to offer, and I was determined to keep growing as an artist.

One day, Ms. Thorne pulled me aside after class. "Lily, there's an art exhibit coming up at the local gallery. They're looking for young artists to showcase their work. I think you should apply."

I was hesitant at first. Another competition? So soon after the last one? But the idea of having my work displayed in a gallery was exciting. With Ms. Thorne's encouragement, I decided to go for it.

Mia and I spent hours preparing our submissions. We chose our best pieces and wrote artist statements to accompany them. It was a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. We dreamed about seeing our paintings hanging in the gallery, imagining the reactions of the people who would come to see them.

When we finally submitted our entries, I felt a sense of accomplishment. Whether or not we were selected, we had put ourselves out there once again. And that, in itself, was something to be proud of.

A few weeks later, we received the news: both Mia and I had been chosen to exhibit our work at the gallery. We were over the moon with excitement. The opening night was a magical experience. Seeing my paintings displayed in a professional gallery was surreal. I couldn't believe that my work was being appreciated by so many people.

Friends, family, and even some of my teachers came to support us. I felt a sense of pride and gratitude for everyone who had helped me along the way. The gallery owner gave a small speech, praising the young artists for their talent and dedication. It was a moment I would never forget.

The experience at the gallery only fueled my passion for art. I realized that there were so many opportunities out there if I was willing to take risks and put myself out there. I continued to work on my art, exploring new ideas and techniques. Each piece was a step forward in my journey as an artist.

Looking back, I could see how far I had come since the beginning of the school year. From the first day of art class with Ms. Thorne to the national competition and the gallery exhibit, it had been an incredible journey. I had faced challenges, doubted myself, and learned valuable lessons along the way.

And through it all, I had discovered something important: my art was a reflection of who I was. It was a way to express my thoughts, emotions, and experiences. It was a way to connect with others and make a difference in the world. Art had become more than just a hobby—it was a part of me.

As the school year continued, I looked forward to new challenges and opportunities. I knew there would be more competitions, exhibits, and projects ahead. And with each one, I would continue to grow as an artist and a person.

One afternoon, as I was working on a new painting in the art room, Mia came over and sat next to me. "So, what's next for us, Lily?" she asked, a playful smile on her face.

I put down my brush and thought for a moment. "I'm not sure, Mia, but I know we'll figure it out together. There's so much we can do and so many ways we can make a difference with our art."

We sat there in companionable silence for a while, each lost in our own thoughts. The future felt wide open, full of possibilities.