Chapter 8 - Part 2

January 2, 2013: Revelations (Part 2)

Mika was alone in their dorm. She has been pacing their room for a while now. She arrived midmorning from Bulacan from their family’s resort, where they spent New Year, to meet up with Jeron so they can talk about ‘them’. It’s just 12 noon. Jeron wasn’t going to pick her up ‘til 2PM. But as early as now, Mika is drowning herself with thoughts about ‘them’.

Jeron has been courting Mika for a while. From the start, she had her hesitations on allowing him to court her. They have been very close and Mika didn’t want to break the friendship that they had in case the relationship doesn’t work out. Mika was afraid that if they actually get together, things between them will change. She was afraid to get hurt too because when she was younger, she saw how her older cousins’ hearts get broken. It kind of stuck to her that in relationships either you break up or get married. And the break ups she didn’t look pretty.

After a while, Mika got tired and sat on the couch. Without noticing it, she fell asleep.

*knock*

“Mika?” It was Jeron.

“Ay tokwa!” Mika exclaimed. She looked at her watch and saw that it was already 2PM.

She tried to fix herself quickly, so she wouldn’t look like she just woke up from a nap. She flattened her shirt, fixed her hair, tugged on her shorts and wore her Vans. She looked at her phone and was shocked to see that she had 12 messages. She decided to look at it when they finish talking. She made sure she got all her things then she ran to the door.

“Sorry Jeron, pinaghintay kita.” Mika apologized.

“Okay lang Miks, ano tara na?” Jeron said as he led Mika to his car.

When they got to the car, it was evident that there was awkward air between the two.

“Um, Jeron. Sa Boni High Street nalang tayo.” Mika said.

“Yeah, sige.” Jeron simply replied while driving.

Both had something to say but it was as if they had an agreement to not talk about anything yet until they got to BHS.

After the long car ride from Taft to BHS, Mika and Jeron walked silently to a park.

They decided to sit at a bench in the quieter part of the park.

It was Mika who broke the silence first.

“Je, ako yung nagyaya so I should talk first.” Mika said while look intently at Jeron who looked nervous.

Jeron was glad Mika volunteered to talk first because he didn’t know what he would say. So he simply replied, “Sige Miks, I’ll listen.”

“Okay. Kasi Je, the reason why I wanted to talk to you is to clarify what wereally are. Hindi sa pinepressure kita or anything okay. I mean, everything has been great. Sa simula talaga, I just thought of you as a friend, pero when I saw this other side of you, parang nafall na din ako. Pero minsan kasi Je, nalalabuan na din ako. Minsan super sweet mo, tapos biglang hindi ka magpaparamdam at all. I guess yun yung dahilan kung bakit parang hindi ko talaga maramdaman kung ano yung dapat nararamdaman ng isang nagkakagusto na sa isang tao. Je, wag kang sanang magalit and I’m sorry if hindi ko talaga kaya. Pero, I think hindi rin naman ako yung parang sayo.” Mika said as she run out of breath. She couldn’t believe she had the courage to admit all of those things to Jeron. She was looking down as she said all of these, then she looked up and saw Jeron with a slight grin that confused Mika.

What Mika said kind of relieved Jeron, who said, “Mika, I’m sorry. Sorry if I ever confused you. I made a big mistake of courting you while I was confused pa with my feelings.”