Chapter 9

January 11, 2013: The Game Plan

After their loss to UST during their first game, the Lady Spikers went on for a 5-game winning streak. They were playing well, but to get the number one spot, they had to beat Ateneo who were still unbeaten. Coach Ramil has devised a series of plays and training systems for the girls so they will all be at their A-game. They had intense work-outs and training, but Coach Ramil prioritized their mental preparation. Coach believed that they would only win if they had determination and the mindset of ‘never say die’.

The girls had a day before their highly-anticipated game against Ateneo. The game was going to be held in the San Juan Arena where they usually had their games.

Coach Ramil was not letting any time pass, even just a day before the game; the team still had practice, much to the dismay of their suitors who were hoping to have a day out with their girls. Instead of just sulking and being sad, the boys decided to watch the girls’ practice and bring the team food.

Their practice for today starts at 1 PM; the girls are excused for all their classes in the afternoon.

 Mika and Cienne are going to meet Ara and Carol at the McDonald’s beside La Salle to have lunch before the practice.

Mika and Cienne arrived at McDo earlier and just started chatting.

“Miks, hindi ka ba kinakabahan?” Cienne asked. Even though she wasn’t part of the starting line-up, Cienne felt nervous about their game with Ateneo. She knew they were the defending champions, so there was pressure on their shoulders. She also knew they were capable of beating Ateneo, but she saw how much Ateneo has improved since their last meeting, and that’s what’s been bugging her.

Mika thought for a while. Was she nervous? Sure. But when she thinks about it, it’s just like the other games they played. The only difference is the strategy they’re going to use; the fighting spirit never changes, so she answered with a grin, “Hm, siguro hindi na masyado. Sa sobrang practice ba naman na’tin? Feeling ko ready na tayong labanan ang mga agila!”

This made Cienne laugh and feel less nervous about the game, but she remembered something and frowned, “Pero Ateneo yung kalaban na’tin…”

“Huh? AHHHHH, tungkol kay Ryan ‘to ‘no?” Mika guessed then smirked at Cienne who was now as red as a tomato.

“HUHU, bully. Pero yes? Kasi hindi pa naman kami e, pero gusto ko sa’tin siya kumampi!” Cienne whined.

“Grabe Cienne, demanding? Na’ko hindi na itutuloy nun yung panliligaw niya!! Wala na Cienne, game over na!” Mika replied then started laughing at Cienne’s problem.

“BULLY MO TALAGA, MIKS! Grr!” Cienne replied with a mix of a pout and a frown on her face.

“E kasi naman hindi mo naman maiaalis sa kanya na dun siya sa school nila magcheer diba? Hello, hindi lang siya basta basta Atenista, player din siya for Ateneo, so alam niya yung feeling na nagccheer din for them yung ibang players nila so parang giving back din yun.” Mika said with a reassuring grin.

“Tsaka wag kang mag-alala puso naman niya na sa’yo ATA. Ata lang, wag masyadong assuming HAHAH.” Mika added.

“Okay na yung una e, bully forever!!” Cienne replied who was now more worried. It’s not that she doesn’t feel Ryan’s feelings for her; it’s just that she really likes him and she’s scared that she likes him more than he likes her.

“Chill lang Cienney, okay. Malay mo diba? HAHAH” Mika replied.

After a few minutes, Ara and Carol arrived.