Chapter 1

"The child bed is our battlefield"

The birthing bed was the designated fate of a woman, she had to provide for her husband to give him heirs, successors, and sons that would strengthen the family name and bring glory to their house.

Rhaenyra was bound to this bed a second time, delivering her third child which was indefinitely a Targaryen bastard. The certainty was set in stone by the Red Keep's Kingsguard, maids and servants they all knew the truth except her father who turned a blind eye to the reality of his grandson's parentage. The sureness of it was enforced by the Queen, there was no doubt that her sons harbour features of the Rogue Prince which the Queen despised. She had always loathed Daemon Targaryen for god knows what reason but it was irrefutable that her hate for Rhaenyra grew each day since her sons were born.

It had become common for her to hear the phrase "Plainly Targaryen" whispered about her sons, Prince Jacaerys and Prince Lucerys. The phrase was created in her birthing chamber after she laboured endlessly to bring her sons into the world, it was uttered as soon as Luke was delivered out of the womb. The midwives could not conceal their shock at the appearance of the young baby. One would think that it was a compliment but when the Queen uttered it, it would forever endanger her children for as long as they continue to live within the walls of the Read Keep.

Princess Rhaenyra laboured once again after a decade of her first labour to try to birth her third child. Her groans echoed in her chambers as the beads of sweat fell down her face in a rather gracious manner. The midwives had huddled around her speaking soft words of encouragement, "Keep breathing Princess," was spoken the most in an attempt to calm her tempers. The labour had been gruelling yet the midwives kept telling her to "Push ." And so she did, she was already fed up with every minute she spent bound here.

With the promise of a final push, she gathered all her strength to deliver. She could finally sigh in relief as a weight had finally been pushed out of her body. "A boy!" The midwives exclaimed bundling the infant in robes, some possessed eyes of wonder over the boy yet the others told her that he was 'Plainly Targaryen'.

The babe was finally placed in her arms and she knew that all was right in that moment. She had created a perfect family for herself and her three children. Rhaenyra could now properly study the babe's looks. He had his father's nose and bone structure yet he had her eyes - unlike his brothers who had the same eyes as Alyssa Targaryen and her sons Viserys and Daemon Targaryen. The babe's eyes possessed the same light blue hue Rhaenyra inherited from her mother to compliment the signature Targaryen purple eyes. His hair was the same moon-like silver as Daemon's yet his hair curled at the end exactly like Rhaenyra's.

It was a pure moment of bliss between a mother and her newborn, she bent down to kiss his precious head when her most trusted Lady-in-Waiting Elinda entered with a sombre look on her face. "Princess.... The Queen has requested that the child be brought to her... immediately." The look of fondness and adoration faded from Rhaenyra's face as she demanded "Why?" It was a vicious response in reaction to an order but the Hightower consort would not demand her child from her arms.

The silence in the room was heavy enough for an answer. Rhaenyra engulfed her arms around the babe in a protective manner as she adjusted herself to force herself off the bed, the midwife supported her back as she arose. Rhaenyra declared, "I shall take him myself." The thought of her child alone with her father and that viper with her temperamental sworn shield, Ser Criston made her stomach churn as unfortunately as the sea does on a stormy evening. The midwife reminded her "You should remain in bed, Princess." The comment angered her once more, she snapped "Yes, I should," at them to leave her be. At the same time, addressing Elinda to help her dress.