Chapter 03

It was time of the morning, the sun was shining over the Rathore mansion, and it peeked into Sameer’s room where Sameer was sitting on the bed, and he yawned. Ambika was standing beside him.

Sameer: Why did you wake me up so early?

Ambika was amazed at Sameer’s statement.

Ambika: earlier? Have you seen the time?

Sameer looked at the wall clock.

Sameer said in a normal tone: It’s 5 minutes past 9 

Ambika: Yes, your father has gone to the office, and your brother has also gone to college, and you are still lying on the bed.

Sameer lowered his gaze and stretched his head.

Ambika: now get off the bed and get ready. Your father has asked you to reach the office by 10 o’clock.

Sameer looked at his mother with an irritated face, and then he lowered his head. Sameer removed the duvet.

Sameer: oh God, this dad. Can’t they open the offices at night time instead of day?

Sameer shook his head and yawned while hanging his legs. Ambika smiled.

Ambika: you have been saying this line since your college time. The only difference is, at that time you were used to saying college, and now you are saying office.

Ambika smiled, and Sameer made an irritating face. Ambika looked on, and then she sat on the bed while sighing. Sameer looked at her.

Ambika: Sameer, see. Now you have grown up. You should understand your responsibilities.

Sameer: Mom, I know my responsibilities. I have joined our family business even though I didn’t want to. But I joined it because as an elder son, it was my responsibility.  I had to join our family business to help Papa. I have always sacrificed my wishes just for the sake of our family rules, our traditions, et cetera. What more do you people want from me?

Sameer paused for a moment.

Sameer: I am living my life as you people want me to live. One thing that I do with my heart is that I spend the nighttime as I like. Mom, I like to stay up late at night. It is not that I have not tried to sleep earlier. I tried, but I couldn’t be able to sleep. Even after a tiring day, I wouldn’t be able to sleep. It has been my habit since my college days because I felt that I studied effectively in the nighttime, so I started to study in the nighttime time, and now, it has become my habit then what should I do?

Ambika was looking at her son, and she could see the pain in his eyes. She knew that his son wanted to be a badminton player, but being an elder son and because of his father’s health issues, he sacrificed his dream. His siblings think he is the dearest of everyone, and he does what he wants which is true to some extent, but not completely. He has fewer restrictions as compared to others, but he has the responsibility of elder son and elder brother. One dialogue, he listens frequently, you are the elder son if you do not understand, then who will understand. You are elder brother if you do not understand, then who will understand. They are your siblings, you have to take care of them and have to give that thing to them. Being a big brother is not an easy thing. 

Ambika: I understand, my child.

Sameer bowed his head. 

Ambika: I didn’t mean to hurt you. I asked you to understand your responsibilities because your Grandma is looking for a girl for you.

Sameer was surprised.

Sameer: what?

Ambika nodded.

Ambika: yes.