Chapter 19

Indigo slipped on her laceless sneakers and went outside. She tried to guess what was the reason for the pop up from the matriarch's stance but the seventy-something woman was stoic in her pleated pants and blouse.

"Mama, what are you doing here?" Indigo asked, confusion painting her features. She hadn't received any calls from Tate but worry was still churning in her stomach.

"Indigo Opal Clark," Her mama started and Indigo stood a little straighter as she inhaled deeply. She hadn't been called her full government name sans the addition since entering matrimony in so many years she forgot when it occurred. "Are you okay?"

"Yes..." Indigo spoke slowly, her eyes shifting from side to side avoiding the piercing stare of her mother. "Why?"

"Then you must have something you need to tell me." Stella held up her hand pausing her daughter. "Before you speak, don't lie to me and I'm not playing with you."

"Um..." Indigo didn't think it was possible to feel twelve again but there she was standing on the sidewalk feeling like a child again. A thousand and one things fluttered in her head. The truth, lies, and a combination of the truth. She didn't know what her mama was asking so she didn't know how to determine her next course of action but her gut told her it was about the secret she was keeping. "It wasn't my decision and it's not my place."

Her mother's eyes widened at the words, "Oh, I've already talked to your sister and I know whose decision it was..."

"Then why am I getting a pop up visit?" Indigo asked, her heart pounding in her chest.

"Because your sister isn't thinking rationally at the moment but you were—" Stella argued and when Indigo started to speak she elevated her voice. "You really thought...logically thought she could undergo a procedure and hide it from her family." She tsked with a shake of her head then casted her eyes to the busy street. "She called me crying and frantic. I had to rock her in my arms until she—" The emotions brimming to the surface rendered her silent. She took a breath.

Indigo watched her mother as she gathered herself not knowing what to say so she said nothing.

Stella placed her eyes back on her middle child as the street lights clicked on, "I understand what ya'll were trying to do but...she's my child. If something life threatening happened to Greer, Thyme, Zane you would insist on knowing. And I don't care how grown ya'll think ya'll are...you are babies to us to protect and care for."

Indigo nodded as tears formed in her eyes, "Mama..." She let out a heavy breath unable to say the words that culminated all of the worry and fears storming in her mind since Saxon told her she was no longer in remission.

"I know." Her mama said, pulling her in an embrace. Once Indigo rested her head on her mama's shoulder and the woman held her tightly the tears silently rolled from her eyes. "We will get through this but not in factions but together. We are a family, it's what we do. We cheer through the triumphs and be a source of strength during turmoil. Understood." She released her.

Indigo dried her face, "Yes, mam." She gripped her mama's hand. "She'll be in remission, again."

"I pray so." Stella sniffed then patted her daughter's hand before letting it go. "Now, tell Hazel we will meet at the hospital tomorrow and get back to painting."

Indigo nodded then watched her mama get in her car and merge into traffic wondering how she would go back to enjoying her girl's night but one thing was certain for someone that was good at keeping a secret she was glad she no longer had to keep this one to herself.