Chapter 18

Indigo had mixed feelings about attaining Girl's night even though she hadn't had one in months. Honestly she couldn't remember when she hung out with Hazel and Emery, together. These days she and Hazel spent more time with each other than she did with Emery. They were sister-in-laws after all. But her mommy guilt was accompanied by a new friend—sibling guilt. Knowing her sister had laparoscopic surgery in two days made her anxiety skyrocket and she was sure an ulcer would be forming from the stress of keeping Saxon's secret.

She wanted to be at home with her husband and her kids dosing off on a movie or soaking in a lavender bubble bath detaching from reality with a good audiobook but she missed her girls. Tate also gave her a speech about refilling her cup and she didn't want to suffer through that again. Hence why she stood barefoot in The Meraki Gallery with a wine glass in one hand and a paintbrush in the other.

"You have a chauffeur, now?" Hazel asked, glancing at the suited man sitting in the driver's seat of the luxury SUV parallel parked in front of her gallery.

Emery smiled lightly as she drug the paintbrush across the canvas leaving a trail of blue. "Derek knew we'd be drinking."

"Hmm," Indigo sounded. "What else does Derek know?"

"Don't do that." Emery pointed the paintbrush at her. "He just cares about my well being. I am the mother of his child."

Hazel tsked, pouring herself a glass of non-alcoholic rose since she was driving herself home. "We all know what he knows. You just don't want to admit it."

"It's not important." Emery quipped. "Our arrangement works perfectly."

"That's all that matters." Indigo added, mixing brown with yellow to see what color it created.

She and Emery may have been separated by counties but she still remembered how fragmented her heart was after she gave Hiran two chances only for him to be the same jackass he always was.

"Aren't you happy you didn't accept Hiran's consolation prize." Hazel said, effortlessly slid the wide paint brush along her canvas.

"You mean engagement ring." Indigo corrected.

Hazel gave her a look that communicated she meant what she said and Indigo chortled. Maybe it was a consolation prize since he only proposed to her after she broke up with him for the third time.

"He called me when I was in Seoul." Emery stated

Indigo and Hazel both asked why.

"Seven years later and he's still the same." Emery continued. "He thought I'd be as well."

"I hope he dies miserable." Hazel hissed.

"Damn." Indigo said, knowing she despised the man as well.

Hazel shrugged carelessly, "He wasted her time and broke her heart over and over again. He should step on a rusty nail and get lockjaw."

Indigo and Emery stopped painting and looked at her. Hazel felt their gaze and asked. "What? Too harsh?"

"A tad." Indigo declared.

Emery resumed painting what looked to be the sky but could be a sea. "I wanted the same thing for him after he slept with my barista but I don't care anymore. It all worked out the way it should've. Daphne is proof of that."

The smile her friend beamed caused Indigo to forget her issues for the moment as happiness filled her heart. Emery's relationship with the Korean businessman she met at SXSW on a panel wasn't traditional but he adored her and would give her the world on a gold-plated diamond encrusted platter and that was the only thing that mattered to Indigo. They both wanted to be parents so nine months later after an exhaustive surrogate search Daphne was born.

"I wonder how the slumber party is going." Indigo divulged, getting paint on her fingertips while trying to draw a bear that looked more like Chewbacca amidst some pretty decent trees.

"It's seven forty-five. I know Daphne's sleep." Emery said then gestured to the window. "Why's your mom here?" Emery waved. 

Why do you think Indigo's mom is there?

Should Indigo feel guilty for having a 'girl's night'?

Why do you think Emery moved?