Chapter 15

Indigo had two main reasons for opening a second Adorn location; Houston's growing population increased her clientele however they didn't have the patience to endure the 610 bumper-to-bumper inch-worm traffic. The most important reason was the new store was near her neighborhood which would make her work life balance more manageable.

"We'll do jewelry, tomorrow along with the other finishing touches," Indigo told the young woman she hired two weeks ago.

"Cool," Miranda stated already headed to the back of the store with one of the boxes that crowded sales floor.

The jingle of a bell above the door called Indigo. She turned on her gold Louboutins and her eyes befell on a voluptuous woman with deep brown skin; door knocker earrings framed her round face and her lustrous black locs were masterfully constructed into an updo.

"I'm sorry," She started as she fixed the hem of her white, collared shirt. "We're not open for business, yet." She held out her hand, "But I'm Indigo"

The woman took her hand with a smile that would melt hearts in a three-block radius, "Koren but you can call me KoKo." She dropped Indigo's hand and then pointed to the shop across the sidewalk. "I'm the owner of Stardust—a hair salon...we're opening in a couple of weeks."

Indigo glanced over at the store, people were shuffling around busying themselves with work.

"What!" She stepped back folding her arms taking the woman in. "You mean to tell me there's another woman with her own business around here? Go ahead, girl." She snapped her fingers three times. "Get it."

"I'm trying," Koren said setting her hand on her hip not disturbing her black floral skirt.

"Oh no, you will. There's no place for us to doubt. If you—" Indigo words stalled as the door swung open and a suited man entered into her establishment.

Koren twisted around to view what had captivated Indigo's attention. "Damn." She harked stepping aside. "I'm speechless, too." She moved her hungry eyes back to Indigo catching the bling of her wedding band, "Is that your husband?"

"No." Indigo blinked, shaking her head quickly at the woman's question. "He's—"

"I'm Felix." He brimmed his money-making, knee-weakening smile as he joined the women. "Felix Park." He shook Koren's hand then turned back to Indigo, "Good morning," He blinked down at his exquisite watch. "I mean afternoon."

Indigo pulled him to the side abruptly after extending a just a moment to Koren, "What are you doing here?"

"I invited you to lunch. You blew me off." His eyebrows quirked with confusion.

"I didn't blow you off. I'm busy." She gestured around to the containers, boxes, and custom benches still wrapped in their bubbled casing. "You can't just pop into town and request a meeting. For one, we have nothing and no one to talk about."

Flex glanced around ensuring they were alone then said, "I'm here about my daughter."

"You don't have a daughter." She insisted. "Or did you forget? You signed away parental rights and refused the suggestion of an open adoption."

He rubbed his face roughly as if the memory caused him pain. "I wasn't in a good place. Mentally or physically. Abigail died. I had less than five dollars to my name and juggling two jobs just to pay rent. I couldn't do anything for a baby."

"I know. We knew." She softly said, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder hearing the hurt and regret in his voice. "That's why—"

"I just want to see her." He set his hand on hers. "She doesn't have to know who I really am."

Indigo pulled her hand from under his. "We don't lie to our children. We make our decisions by determining what's best for them and what they can handle. You can't just waltz into here and ask to see her. She's not a puppy. Greer is a sweet, quiet, reserved little girl who doesn't like change. If you come into her life, it can't be a one-time thing."

"I'm closing on a home." He added eagerly.

"That's bold of you."

"I want to right my wrongs." He said. "Be the man Abigail thought I could be."

"That's commendable," Indigo affirmed, feeling her phone vibrate in her pocket. She didn't have to check it. She knew it was the timer she set to remind her of Saxon's doctor's appointment. "But slow your roll because it's not just my decision and I'm not even sure Greer's ready to meet you."

"I'll wait however long it takes." He added.

Indigo nodded. "I'll discuss it with my husband and we'll decide what's best for Greer; mentally and emotionally. But don't drop by here unless you're buying something."

"Understood."

Indigo opened the notes app and handed him her phone, "I'll give you a call no matter what we decide."

Felix quickly typed his number and then handed her back the phone. "Thank you."

She gave him a tight smile and then watched him leave unsure if Greer was ready to meet the man who gave her twenty-three chromosomes. She didn't have time to ponder on it. She needed to get her purse, keys, and pick Saxon up to see what course of action would be needed to prolong her life.

Her heart pounded harder and her breathing shortened but she did her best to ignore it. She needed to be the strong one. She had to be the strong one. Saxon needed her resilience.

Do you think Greer can handle meeting Felix?

Do you think it's a good time for Greer to meet Felix?