Late Night Decisions

Chapter Seven: Late Night Decisions

Emma's POV

It had been a long day. Eleanor had been especially tired, and by the time I had finally put her to bed, it was already 8 PM. The house was quiet, the kind of stillness that comes only with nightfall. I tidied up Eleanor's room, making sure everything was in place before quietly closing her door.

As I made my way downstairs, ready to head home to my parents, I was startled by Tristan's voice. He was standing in the hallway, his expression as stern as ever.

"It's late," he said, his tone more of a command than a statement. "You should stay over."

I blinked in surprise. "I can't. I need to get home to my mom and dad."

Tristan's jaw tightened. "It's not safe for you to be out at this hour. My driver will take you home."

"I'll be fine," I insisted, though I felt a flutter of nervousness. The streets were indeed dark, and the idea of walking home alone was daunting.

"Don't argue," he said sharply. "I don't want anything happening to my grandmother's caretaker."

I felt a pang in my chest. *So it's not because he cares about me, it's because of Eleanor.* I nodded, swallowing my disappointment. "Alright. Thank you."

He seemed to relax slightly. "What about your decision? Will you stay here permanently?"

"I need to talk to my parents first," I replied. "I'll let you know tomorrow."

"I don't have much patience, Emma," he said, his voice cold. "Make sure you come with a decision by tomorrow."

His rudeness stung, and I couldn't help but wonder why he had to be so harsh. But I held my tongue, simply nodding before following his driver to the car.

The ride home was silent, giving me plenty of time to think. The offer was tempting—more money, a safer environment for Eleanor—but I knew my parents would have strong opinions about it. When I finally reached home, I thanked the driver and stepped into the familiar warmth of my house.

My parents were in the living room, waiting for me. The concern on their faces was immediate.

"Emma, you're late," my mom said, her voice laced with worry.

"I know, I'm sorry. I had to stay longer with Eleanor," I explained, sitting down with them. "There's something I need to talk to you about."

My parents exchanged a glance before focusing on me. "What is it, sweetheart?" my dad asked.

I took a deep breath. "My boss wants me to move in with them. He'll pay me more, but I'll need to be there all the time, especially at night. Eleanor had a panic attack last night, and he wants someone there to take care of her."

My mom's face immediately filled with disapproval. "Absolutely not. You can't leave us."

"I know, Mom, but we need the money. Especially now that you've lost your job," I said gently. "I promise I'll come home every weekend. We can make it work."

"Mom, please understand," I pleaded. "We need the money, especially now that you've lost your job. This is a great opportunity. I promise I'll come home every weekend. We can make it work."

Tears welled up in my mom's eyes as she shook her head. "I don't want you staying in that man's house. It's not safe. What if something happens to you?"

My dad placed a calming hand on her shoulder. "Let's hear her out, dear."

"I'll be careful, Mom. Tristan may be grumpy and rude, but he's not dangerous. And I'll be there for Eleanor. She needs me," I said, trying to reassure her.